PDA

View Full Version : hostname fixed to Knoppix even after reinstall of OS

StuartP
06-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Hi All

No matter what I do, I can not get the hostname to change from Knoppix.

Tried reformmatting HDD, installing Mandrake & RedHat and running fdisk/mbr.

Slightly worried Knoppix download had been hacked!!!!!

Either BIOS or virus ?

I am using Blueyonder in UK with a cable modem Surfboard SB4100

Stuart

rickenbacherus
06-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Did you edit

/etc/hostname

StuartP
06-03-2003, 11:12 PM
I ran linuxconf in Mandrake 9.1 to try and reset the name, but after reboot it goes back to Knoppix.

I am thinking BIOS or EPROM on the cable modem, even powering down the modem for a longish period does not make a difference.

rickenbacherus
06-03-2003, 11:54 PM
I ran linuxconf in Mandrake 9.1 to try and reset the name, but after reboot it goes back to Knoppix.

Not sure I follow you. Are you booting the Knoppix cd or working from a hard drive installation? If you're booting the cd then you need to save your configuration. The Docs link at the top of the page can get you everything you need to know.

-OR-

Are you telling me that simply booting the Knoppix cd causes your hard drive installed Mandrake hostname to change? If so why don't you just go edit whatever file in Mandrake has your hostname as root, and make sure it gets saved. Sometimes those config tools don't always do what you think they do. Of course- who knows it is experimental software afterall.

StuartP
06-03-2003, 11:58 PM
I was booted of a CDROM, since then Knoppix is somehow stored somewhere.

Even after a fresh install to HDD of other OSes, which should clear all references to Knoppix.