PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix on Intel based iMac

geekyone
11-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Sorry if this has been asked, searching the forums I could only find extremely outdated topics.

Last night I was watching the news, and got bored during the commercials. I thought to myself "Hmm, I wonder if my Knoppix DVD will load on this iMac." Frankly, I had little doubt that it would, but I have heard a lot of stuff over the years about hacks to get the Macs to boot other OSes. So, I stuck it in, and held down the C key. It actually booted just fine to the Knoppix boot screen, and needless to say I was excited. That faded fast though as soon as KDE loaded. The drivers it had chosen for the monitor caused a horrible flickering, making the screen look like it was being broadcast over rabbit ears. I can't even explain how horrible the second monitor connection hooked up to my HDTV looked. Also, not too surprisingly, I couldn't get the wifi to work, but then again, I've never tried to use wifi on Knoppix.

I used Knoppix Live DVD 5.31

Anyone know of a modified version of Knoppix that anyone has done to include drivers needed for Intel based Macs? Or maybe you can point me in the right direction. It would be really cool to use one Live DVD to repair both the newest Macs and PC's.

hal8000
12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Hi find out what native resolution your mac uses.

Then boot with the knoppix DVD. At the boot prompt press F2 and F3 to see all cheat codes.
I think it will work with correct screen parameters try

knoppix screen=800x600

(or whatever your mac uses)

At the desktop, you should be able to see your mac hard drive, if not open a terminal
and type (as su)
modprobe hfsplus

This module should allow knoppix to read the mac file system. Bot sure of write support,
you may have to google this.