PDA

View Full Version : Drive Forced To Mount & Other Problems

Mr K
11-21-2008, 01:40 AM
I posted this thread last month:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29275

To sum it up, my old hard drive crashed and I'd been trying to recover the data using Knoppix. My computer had some problems booting it with my old hard drive for various reasons, but that doesn't matter now. I decided I'd have to to buy a USB Hard Drive enclosure to put my old drive in and try it that way.

Today I received my USB Hard Drive Enclosure. I tried it and it detected the disk, yet when mounting it came up with this:

"WARNING: Dirty volume mount was forced by the "force" mount option"

I clicked ok and started looking around my hard drive and everything was there. I copied some files from my old hard drive to my new one, and they transferred fine. They work perfectly too, they're not corrupted. So I've got hope that my disk isn't really broken, it's just.. a little messed up haha.

My main problem is how erratic it is. If I try transferring a folder with a lot of files in, it comes up with "Stalled". I got the same "Stalled" message when I tried entering a folder that had around 400 folders and about 40gb of data in. After this stalling happens it's very hard to get the drive to come up again. I usually click it and then have to wait a couple of minutes for it to come up. Often when it does come up it won't let me transfer files at all. I usually have to restart to get it working again, which is really annoying.

I ran a process that I can't remember, maybe Testdisk? And this came up:

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 4462 (Note that this isn't my amount of cylinders, I copied the error off of Google, as I forgot it and didn't write it down initially).
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

I thought it might be significant.

That's the jist of the problems, can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks a lot :)