PDA

View Full Version : Linux Header Files for Knoppix 5.3

Kupe
11-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Hello,

I'm trying to remaster the 5.3 DVD with various applications and I'm having trouble installing the Cisco VPN client. It requires the Linux header files, unfortunately, the 5.3 DVD I downloaded does not seem to include them. The 5.11 DVD, on the other hand, included them. Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kupe
11-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Bump: does anyone know if there's a way to do this without the header files? I mean, it appears that the full kernel source code is there. I just don't know how to use it in place of the headers. Sorry for my ignorance.

hal8000
11-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Bump: does anyone know if there's a way to do this without the header files? I mean, it appears that the full kernel source code is there. I just don't know how to use it in place of the headers. Sorry for my ignorance.

Knoppix uses a standard kernel so just download the kernel source from kernel.org and decompress it in /usr/src/Linux-2.6.xx make sure you set a symlink called linux pointing to /usr/src/linux-2.6.xx and you should be able to recompile the kernel.

Kupe
12-07-2008, 04:39 AM
I tried to post what I thought would be a very useful set of steps for someone who wanted to regenerate the linux kernel header files for 5.3 but I was stopped by the filter; something about there being spam in my post and an unauthorized term. Not sure what that's all about about, but if someone is interested in the solution they can email me at skyhog99@yahoo.com

Barry

Harry Kuhman
12-07-2008, 05:15 AM
... but I was stopped by the filter; something about there being spam ....
Sorry about that. We occasionally do see a false positive. I'll send you a private message about the details and suggest some work-arounds.

Kupe
12-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Here's the full post.

I just wanted to share my success with the rest of you. I was able to successfully create the kernel header files from the kernel source and install the Cisco VPN client on a customized LiveCD of Knoppix version 5.3. I took the 4gb DVD and after an arduous process of uninstalling/purging/removing software I now have a working LiveCD of Knoppix 5.3 that is just over 400mb!

Here's the process I used to install the Cisco VPN client. Hopefully someone else who needs to recreate the kernel header files to install something (a driver, etc.) on Knoppix 5.3 will find this useful:

NOTE: all these steps are done within the CHROOT environment. Do an "apt-get update" before you install anything.

1. Install linux-headers and build-essential.

If you don't have access to the headers for your kernel version, follow the instructions at this web page to generate them from the kernel source. http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian_etch

NOTE: You don't need to include the kernel_image option on the make-kpkg command line; just the kernel_headers option.

2. Check to see if you have an EXTRAVERSION mis-match. Compare:

uname -r

to the value in the /usr/src/Makefile for EXTRAVERSION.

If they don't match, change the value of EXTRAVERSION in the Makefile file so it matches.

3. In the /usr/src/linux sub-directory run these commands:

make clean
make oldconfig
make modules_prepare
make prepare

This web site was helpful: http:// aivipi.blog spot.com/2008/09/installing-cisco-vpn-on-mandriva-2008.html

4. Extract the Cisco vpnclient tar file to tmp.

5. The rest of the steps are standard for the Cisco vpnclient

6. Before you exit the CHROOT environment to recompress the distro, start and stop the vpnclient a couple of times:

/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start
/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init stop
/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start

You can also uninstall build-essential and the linux-headers at this point. To really get the size of the ISO down you can delete everything in the /usr/src directory (save off a copy of the linux-headers.deb file you created in step 1 first!!).

Enjoy!