PDA

View Full Version : remote login to knoppix DVD

chaoswings
11-27-2008, 05:31 AM
Is it possible to remotely login to a knoppix live DVD?

I want to be able to pop in a knoppix live DVD on a desktop PC and control it from another PC over either a LAN or the internet.

I wanted to make sure that it's possible before I tell someone to go out and download a 4 GB ISO image.

Basically I have a co-worker who's PC has crashed and he's on the other side of the world. I was thinking of having him use a live DVD and have me login remotely from my own PC at home. This also insures that I know what is currently running and don't have to deal with the firewalls, configurations etc. that he has on his PC.

Any instructions/links would be appreciated.

Also I can't seem to find a detailed list of installed software on knoppix...does anyone know where I can find one?

chip.ling
12-07-2008, 01:29 AM
Is it possible to remotely login to a knoppix live DVD?

I want to be able to pop in a knoppix live DVD on a desktop PC and control it from another PC over either a LAN or the internet.

Answer in short, yes, you can remotely logon to a remote knoppix machine. You can at least have a text base connection via ssh for sure if both of your machines are in your company's WAN and can talk to each other.

I wanted to make sure that it's possible before I tell someone to go out and download a 4 GB ISO image.

I would recommend using knoppix 5.1.1 CD version for rescue only. 700M only.

Basically I have a co-worker who's PC has crashed and he's on the other side of the world. I was thinking of having him use a live DVD and have me login remotely from my own PC at home. This also insures that I know what is currently running and don't have to deal with the firewalls, configurations etc. that he has on his PC.

Don't really understand what you are talking about here. Can you tell us what is your expectation on knoppix and what is your plan once you have the connection.

The difficulty I can foresee is not on the knoppix side, it will be on how you can open up the firewalls of your company's network. Or how to set up a channel from your home to your co-worker's pc.

Rgds,
Chip

Harry Kuhman
12-07-2008, 01:55 AM
...The difficulty I can foresee is not on the knoppix side, it will be on how you can open up the firewalls of your company's network. Or how to set up a channel from your home to your co-worker's pc....
Or in trying to make any changes to a NTFS partition, which Knoppix will not write to safely