PDA

View Full Version : Accept Delete/Format of Knoppix to create persistent?

TallPaul
11-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Hello.

I'm booting from the 5.3.1 DVD and I also have 5.3.1 pre-installed on an 8gb USB stick.

When I try to "Create a persistent Knoppix disk image" from the Knoppix-menu in KDE using the mounted USB stick (sda1), it ends up asking me:

"There is already a Knoppix image present on this partition. Would you like to delete/format it?"

To me, that sounds like a bit more than is necessary to create a persistent /home directory...am I wrong? I'm scared that it would just wipe the USB stick and take a long time in the bargain...

Thanks,
TallPaul

Lucien
12-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Hello,

You said
When I try to "Create a persistent Knoppix disk image" ,you are not only creating a /home directory but an image type file.

You can see if a file named KNOPPIX.IMG is allready present , it probably will be because your system said so.

If it is you cannot create another one, therefore your system ask you to delete or reformat the existing one.

You can give the KNOPPIX.IMG another name f.e. KNOPPIX.BACKUP ,then your system will not find an existing one . If for any reason , later on, you should like to have it back ; rename the .BACKUP to .IMG and the new created image to KNOPPIX.BACK2 for example.

Lucien.