PDA

View Full Version : difficulty with remastering knoppix

bourne-
11-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Hello all...

I am new to the forums. I have come here because I am starting to drive myself mental in my attempts to remaster knoppix.

I am to create a remastered live cd of knoppix.

I want to change the default windows manager to fluxbox.

I have successful done this (I think so anyways)

I have a custom menu and a custom style and background that I would like to use.
I have copied everything necessary to do this to the /etc/skel file, as well I have changed the files in the /etc/X11/fluxbox to reflex my custom setup.

I also changed the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to make sure it boots fluxbox by default

So far I have been successful in getting it to work (well sort of, i actually haven't been able to test it 100%)

The problem that i am having is that when I add the .fluxbox directory to the /home/knoppix directory and go into fluxbox (from the livecd) my custom style shows up but for some reason my background won't show up unless I issue the command:

fbsetbg -f ~/.fluxbox/backgrounds/smile_joker.jpg

I have installed feh and it is working but still for some reason my background just isn't loading and I can't figure out why. It loads though if i do it manually and all the transparency settings work like a charm

The other thing that I find really weird. If I create a new user with the 'useradd -m <whatever>' command. When I log into the users account, the custom theme shows up but for some reason the .bashrc file is completely ignored and I am given a prompt of: 'sh-3.1$'
It doesn't matter what files I change I can't seem to edit my prompt :(
It will not read the .bashrc file at all and for some reason the prompt starts at /UNIONFS/root and NOT the users /home directory

Creating new users isn't essential for this livecd because it will only be a live cd and nothing more. But I wanted to test if what I have done so far is working.. and it seems like it is only half working :(

My fear is that with this testing. When I boot up my remastered knoppix CD and the /home/knoppix/ (the default user) user is created and fluxbox is booted, the environment will not reflect the changes that I have made.

If anyone could help shed some light on changing knoppix over to running fluxbox by default with a custom setup that would be amazing.

I have checked through the forums and as of yet I have not been able to come across the answers I need, or the answers are very vague.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

thank you in advance

cheers

todd

bourne-
11-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Bummer... failure big time :(

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.

After burning the image to a CD and booting the remastered knoppix I get this error.
My custom boot screen image showed up, and the hardware detection get to detecting the CD-ROM drive and then after that I get this error message..

I am totally at a lose as to what is causing this. Can anyone please help point me in the direction of what might have caused this?

I would be so grateful for any help anyone can give me

thank you in advance

cheers

todd

bourne-
11-30-2008, 03:05 AM
So I have been doing a little poking around about this problem both in these forums and on other forums. It seems that there might be an issue with the directory structure for isolinux directory?

mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o /media/sda7/knx/knoppix.iso /media/sda7/knx/master

This is the command I used to create the final ISO image. From what I have there is a possibility that under the current directory structure of '/media/sda7/knx/master/boot/isolinux' i should try '/media/sda7/knx/master/isolinux'. Is this an option that I can try? I don't know if it will fix it but at this point I am willing to try just about anything.

I guess I should also mention that I am remastering the most recent version of knoppix. During the compression of the ISO everything went smoothly and I had no error at all

any help would greatly be appreciated

cheers

todd

hal8000
11-30-2008, 08:43 PM
I had a similar problem with menu items in KDE, think the problem is in that remastering knoppix not all changes are copied back to /etc/skel from the
chroot environment.

This link should help:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28305

Use the rsync command to sync changes and let us know if it works.

winson
12-01-2008, 02:01 AM
try to create and put a file called "45Xsession" in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ directory
and inside that file you put
==================================
#!/bin/bash

# this is your background..
fbsetbg -f ~/.fluxbox/backgrounds/smile_joker.jpg

# you can also put all the personalized setting commands here.
==================================

note, in that file, if you call a program, let's say firefox

"/usr/bin/firefox" and "/usr/bin/firefox &"

makes the different!! have a try.

-------------------------

cd can't boot can be a lot of reasons, can you try run a md5 check sum on your burnt CD?
try to double check with that before you boot your CDs.

------------------------

the command you used...

-hide-rr-moved -o /media/sda7/knx/knoppix.iso /media/sda7/knx/master

mmm......... it seems ok.
but this is what i usually do.

cd /media/sda7/knx/master
-hide-rr-moved -o /media/sda7/knx/knoppix.iso .

and yes there is a dot at the end of this command.

for more info see.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto#KNOPPIX_Compressed_Image

Winson