PDA

View Full Version : New to Knoppix & Vista

jacartlidge
12-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a Vista machine with a password at bootup but do not have the password. I am trying to use Knoppix in an attempt to access files on the Vista machine.

I have downloaded Knoppix using an XP machine. I d/l V5.1.1 2007-01-04-en.iso and burned on to a cd.

After changing the boot setup, the computer shows only a black screen. It does not boot up.

What have I missed?

Harry Kuhman
12-02-2008, 11:22 PM
...After changing the boot setup, the computer shows only a black screen. It does not boot up.

What have I missed?
Potentially so many things. Most likely you don't know how to properly burn an ISO file. See answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) for details.

If you do make a bootable disk, get it to start to boot, see a boot prompt, but then get a black screen, you likely need to use some "cheat codes" or hardware hints at boot time. But I don't think that you're there yet.

Also, it's not clear what you intend to do to the Vista system from Knoppix. Knoppix isn't a good tool to try to recover a boot password. And you should not try to write to the Vista partition with Knoppix, it will very likely corrupt the disk. Knoppix should be able to read an unencrypted Vista partition just fine, but not write to one. Fortunately, the default mount mode for Knoppix and Vista (NTFS) partitions is read only.

jacartlidge
12-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Ok, I will study download wiki for info. Since you sent me there I expect to be able to find info on creating the bootable cd.

In the meantime....

I am only interested in accessing data from the Vista machine, not saving or amending data to the Vista machine.

With that as my goal, is knoppix capable od doing what I want?

Harry Kuhman
12-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Ok, I will study download wiki for info. Since you sent me there I expect to be able to find info on creating the bootable cd.
The faq covers many things that come up again and again in making the CD or DVD. In particular pay attention to the importance of the md5 test (particularly if you used a mirror and not a torrent download), a slow speed burn, and burning as an image, as well as not taking an option to make the disk bootable.

I am only interested in accessing data from the Vista machine, not saving or amending data to the Vista machine.

With that as my goal, is knoppix capable od doing what I want?
Knoppix can read the files on an uncorrupted and unencrypted NTFS partition just fine. Once you do that you could save them to a FAT formatted flash device or transfer then to another system on the network if you wish.