PDA

View Full Version : Autostarting my Wireless connection

kaos
12-03-2008, 04:18 AM
OK, I'm not a complete newbie to Linux. I have used other distros and have gotten tired of having a really great system one day, doing an upgrade and having to reconfigure everything over again. So as not to totally hose up my Toshiba Satellite A135 laptop, I decided to go with knoppix on a Sandisk MicroCruzer 8gb thumbdrive. It is all running and my persistent home directory seems to be working but one thing I'm not finding is how to automagically get my wireless connection to start when I boot up in to knoppix. The wireless works great but everytime I boot up I have to activate it by going into the Network setup or check.

I am not familiar with writing executable scripts for the Autostart in KDE so if that is the suggestion I will need a tutorial on how to write one and make it executable.

If anyone can or will help I would greatly appreciate it.

On a side note I would like to say that I think Knoppix is the king of live distros. This distro has been the easiest to set up and get operating quickly. I could seriously use this as my mainstream OS. But I'll hold that until I have to upgrade.

Thanks for any and all help anyone can offer.

Regards,
Tom

chip.ling
12-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Tom,

Modify the knoppix.sh on your USB thumb drive.

Take a look at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

Start from FAQ 2, I describe my testing result on how to use ndiswrapper to get wireless to work on 5.1.1.

Check out FAQ 4 and ignore all the ndiswrapper code. Start from the setup ESSID code is what you need.

After you modified the knoppix.sh, save it, then boot knoppix using the cheat code "knoppix myconfg=scan"

Rgds,
Chip