PDA

View Full Version : Wlan with static ip

kaplanfx
06-03-2003, 11:19 PM
The main reason I use knoppix is becuase my wifi card doesn't seem to work with any other distro (including debian stable) but I would like to be able to set the comp to a static ip on our network. I am the admin essentially so I have access to the router and can assign any ip from on our subnet from .5 to .99 Also I know the default getway, dns servers, netmask, etc. Right now the wifi is using dhcp, its a wmp11 linksys card which I believe is prism 2, how can I turn of DHCP and set a static ip?

Harry Kuhman
06-04-2003, 01:41 AM
Have you tried netcardconfig?

kaplanfx
06-04-2003, 01:49 AM
I haven't tried any of the auto card config tools as I am scared they will break the wlan setup which has been super fickle. I'm assuming that the info I want is stored in a text file somewhere and I prefer to simply enter the settings in there. Problem is I don't know which file is associated with the card, I thought it was /etc/pci/wireless.opts but didn't seem to be the right place.

Stephen
06-04-2003, 03:17 AM
The main reason I use knoppix is becuase my wifi card doesn't seem to work with any other distro (including debian stable) but I would like to be able to set the comp to a static ip on our network. I am the admin essentially so I have access to the router and can assign any ip from on our subnet from .5 to .99 Also I know the default getway, dns servers, netmask, etc. Right now the wifi is using dhcp, its a wmp11 linksys card which I believe is prism 2, how can I turn of DHCP and set a static ip?

This post (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2580&highlight=) may help. It is setup for dhcp all you should have to do is change it to static and enter you network settings along with the other information required.

kaplanfx
06-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks Stephen, is this your site? I see your posts everywhere. If it is, great site. :D

Stephen
06-04-2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks Stephen, is this your site? I see your posts everywhere. If it is, great site. :D

Eadz runs the site but there's a few of us that help answering what we can.