PDA

View Full Version : How to save Knoppix config in Knoppix DVD 5.3.1

Xtreem Slacker
12-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I played with the Knoppix 5.1.1 CD iso for a while before downloading the Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD iso. Although I could save my Knoppix config to a USB flash pen drive at sda1 using the CD iso, it was a worthless effort because specifying

knoppix myconfig=/media/sda1

or

knoppix myconfig=scan

did nothing. I got the same result as if I just put the CD in and hit the Enter key at the Knoppix boot prompt.

Now that I want to save my Knoppix config using the DVD iso, I can't find out how to do it. Clicking the anatomically impossible Knoppix penguin and selecting Configure shows me a list that does not include Save Knoppix configuration. I don't see how to do it in K Menu either.

It would have been nicer to include more English documentation on the English DVD rather than several books in German, which, IMHO, belong on the German DVD.

jiffypop
12-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Hiya, Slacker

I'm the last person you need replying to problems you can't figure out but if I can't help ya, i'll at least share in your misery because i've got demons of my own trying to save some config settings. Come to find out, the 5.3.1 DVD definitely does not have a Save Knoppix Configuration via the anatomically impossible Knoppix penguin. However, if you select said penguin and fire up a root shell and type "saveconfig" minus the quotes, you'll be well on your way.
(I hope)

Make sure your media is mounted and has write access. Hopefully, that will make it happen for ya.
Nice to meet a fellow slacker and hope it works out for ya.
;-)

turbine
12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Hiya, Slacker

I'm the last person you need replying to problems you can't figure out but if I can't help ya, i'll at least share in your misery because i've got demons of my own trying to save some config settings. Come to find out, the 5.3.1 DVD definitely does not have a Save Knoppix Configuration via the anatomically impossible Knoppix penguin. However, if you select said penguin and fire up a root shell and type "saveconfig" minus the quotes, you'll be well on your way.
(I hope)

Make sure your media is mounted and has write access. Hopefully, that will make it happen for ya.
Nice to meet a fellow slacker and hope it works out for ya.
;-)

Well, I tried that saveconfig trick and it did indeed save a configuration file. However when I rebooted and tried to get knoppix to load the file, it wouldn't.