PDA

View Full Version : Kwlan Problems after going to another wifi spot

borgward
12-10-2008, 04:29 AM
I get Kwlan was unable to configure wlan interface using iwconfig and Kwlan was unable to Release IP address after I go from one WiFi spot to another. Kwifi starts up at home when I boot my laptop, but does not connect after I get to another wifi spot. The laptop has not been shutdown while in transit. It does not help to turn off Kwifi and start it up again. Kwifi will work if I reboot the laptop.

Maybe I need to know how to release the IP address from the command line?

Dell Latitude CPi 400 MHz PII 256 MB RAM running Knoppix 5.1.1

chip.ling
12-12-2008, 06:11 AM
I get Kwlan was unable to configure wlan interface using iwconfig and Kwlan was unable to Release IP address after I go from one WiFi spot to another. Kwifi starts up at home when I boot my laptop, but does not connect after I get to another wifi spot. The laptop has not been shutdown while in transit. It does not help to turn off Kwifi and start it up again. Kwifi will work if I reboot the laptop.

Maybe I need to know how to release the IP address from the command line?

Dell Latitude CPi 400 MHz PII 256 MB RAM running Knoppix 5.1.1

Don't know what Kwlan does behind the scene, if it translates back to iwconfig command, then it is normal that it cannot reset IP address. iwconfig only deal with wireless setting, i.e. ESSID, channel etc

In order to switch between IP address, you need to use the ifconfig command with the combination of the pump command.

There should be a couple ways iin command line to achieve what you are trying to do. I just give one example anyway. All I'm showing here is a complete clean way to have the job done.

All the steps I mentioned here is command line so you need to type the command in the konsole.

Your wireless device name maybe eth1, eth2 or wlan0. But I use wlan0 for the example below.

1. Stop the wireless device so as to release the IP address from the old wireless network.

$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 down

2. You can check the network device no longer exist by

$ ifconfig

3. Now restart the wireless network device

$sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

4. Force the dhcp from the new wireless environment to generate an IP address to the wlan0 device

$sudo pump -i wlan0

Now your machine should have a new IP address from the new wireless dhcp. You can check the new IP address by issuing the ifconfig command.

Rgds,
Chip