PDA

View Full Version : Not able to connect to Interent in Knoppix

antonio770
12-20-2008, 03:18 AM
I have a dell Optiplex 755, with a intel 82566DM 2gig network card, but I cannot connect in knoppix. I am using V5.1.0. Every time I try to configure the card, I get an error stating that there is no card detected. I know I have one. I can connect in windows XP safemode to the iinternet. I am wondering why I cannot connect in Knoppix. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I am brand-spanking new to KNOPPIX, so detailed instructions would be great. I, however, am not a newbie to windows. I am very literate in XP. Thanks.

hal8000
12-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Looks as though your NIC uses the e1000 kernel module.
Open the terminal then type:

su

then post the output of the follwoing commands please:

ifconfig

dmesg | grep eth

antonio770
12-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Can u give me a step-by-step procedure? What isa "terminal"? Sorry to sound so dumb, but this si my first time on Knoppix. Thanks Again.

OErjan
12-22-2008, 01:14 PM
a terminal is a "dos prompt" or, command prompt, it can also be called commandline, terminal, xterm, aterm, cli... it is a place where you can give the computer commands via text input.

just click on an icon that looks like a blank monitor, type the commands he gave and give the output here.

I will give a step by step on first command then just give what you should type, enter at end of each command by the way and the "(space)" is NOT to be typed, it is just to indicate a space in the text.

sudo (space) su

lsmod | grep (space) e1000

dmesg | grep (space) eth

the | before grep is NOT minor L or capital i, but what you get with US layout (and Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian) when you hold alt key and press the < key, it is called pipe.

if you get a line with e1000 with the first command proceed to the next, if not, ask what next.

then you type
ifconfig
what did you get?
if you got a line with something like

inet addr:192.168....

you are close, put all output here and we will try helping further.[/code]

antonio770
12-22-2008, 04:48 PM
I cannot copy and paste the text to any application as it wont let me, so I am going to write it out here.

lo link encap: local loopback
inet addr: 127.0.01 mask: 255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 scope: host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 metric:1
RX packets: 12 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
TX packets: 12 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 0
rx bytes: 600 (600.0b) TX bytes: 600 (600.0 b)

OErjan
12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
OK, try the command

sudo modprobe e1000

then try

dmesg | grep (space) eth
again

if you get a new line AND get adress automaically in Windows try

sudo (spcae) pump (space) -i (space) eth0

otherwise ask here again

pacman269
01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
cant do anything tryd to get program synaptic says su wrong or something an in my words im tellin not shure what i did wrong i set my user name an user pass then root pass an i an i know them both but i cant do anything help pls o an i cant get on the inter net on wireless i was able to apt-get b43-fwcutter an its on so i should be ok i got a linksysg an thats what it needs but i cant get on an the stuff in here wont let me set the card an im soooooo lost help plz...