PDA

View Full Version : Branded Knoppix CD

grandad
12-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Couldn't find anything about this anywhere, so hope I am in the right place? I have tried several distros over the past few weeks and all of them were obviously copied to CD from wherever, because they just had the distro written on with a marker pen. I must be very unfortunate because one refused to boot from scratch. One would try to boot then hang......till Ctrl-Alt-Del. The two remaining CD's booted once and never again.

I vaguely remember having a Knoppix CD years ago and that it was a 'Branded Knoppix' CD which booted everytime. I am now inclined to go for Knoppix again and wonder if there still are 'Branded Knoppix' CD's available, as apart from the writen on with a marker pen type? I am just too old to go on wasting my time with duff CD's like this. Downloading is not an option sadly, so can anyone advise on a source of valid Knoppix CD's? Many thanks Walt

Harry Kuhman
12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
I have no idea what you mean by branded Knoppix, to me it sounds like a normal Knoppic CD. There are links for people who will sell you a CD or DVD on this site. I strongly advise against using them, as almost all Knoppix sold this way is burnt at high speed and very often has the exact booting problems that you write about. My suggestion for getting a CD, if downloading is not an option, is to find a friend with a high speed connection and introduce him to Knoppix and make 2 CDs from 1 download.

grandad
12-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Ah! Such a friend would be a friend indeed. The world would be so much brighter and sweeter.
Sadly there are no such friends in this old mans world.

A 'branded knoppix CD'? Well I do remember that the Cd was a proper CD with the Logo "KNOPPIX" whatever version it might have been. Not scrawled on with a marker pen by one of the high speed downloaders you speak of. Surely, such a highly spoken of Distro should be respected and put out in a decent manner, but there you are, old men should not try remembering the days when things were done right. I need Knoppix because I am sick of Win XP. Thanks for you lovely reply. Regards Walt.

Harry Kuhman
12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
There have been some images for printable labels for Knoppix posted from time to time. Unfortunately there seems to be indications that adhesive CD labels reduce disc life. Some people cam print labels right on the CD, but that media tends to be more expensive, I don't know how widely it's used. And there is now Lightscrbe available. Images are not color and the media is pretty pricey, so I doubt that you'll see CD resellers using that. I would expect a reseller to use one of the first two though, even if it were a stick on label that reduced disc life.

As you say, sad that people don't take the time to make the disc right, but from years of experience here I can say that there have been many posts from prople who have had booting problems from purchased CDs that seem to have been burnt at high speed. Of course, I can't know how many people didn't have problems and so didn't post. and the problems from a high speed burm are marginal, so the CD may work on some systems but not others. But since you already have seen problems it seemed best to mention this issue.

Clinton
12-23-2008, 11:16 AM
As with anything, it depends on where you buy it. As Harry says there isn't an official, branded Knoppix CD and there are some people selling cheap CDs that don't work. There are also some reputable sellers who run well established businesses doing just this and they've learnt from experience as to what works and what doesn't. On this site I've linked to a seller on the Get Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/get.php) page (direct link to the seller (http://www.knoppix.net/buy.php)). Several hundred people a month use them and I've had no complaints so far.

grandad
12-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Many thanks for the encouragement on this issue. Sadly this supplier is not in the Uk, so I cannot use them. But it goes to show that someone knows of suppliers that do produce a quality CD that will work every time and I will surely get to know about one of them in the Uk. Well I hope so anyway. Thank you again for being so kind. It may be too late now with Christmas almost on top of us, but later......who knows? Happy Christmas to all the Members and again....thanks for everything. Walt

Clinton
12-23-2008, 01:00 PM
grandad, I'm in the UK. If you want to send me a PM with your postal address I'll drop a CD in the post to you.

Have a Happy Christmas.

Clinton
01-04-2009, 11:19 AM
BTW, I sent you the disk but I just wanted to point out that the company we link to does ship to the UK as well. And a lot of other countries. They charge a very reasonable $1.95 for the CD.