PDA

View Full Version : no sound & web site language

ttttkk
12-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie to linux, please help me if you can... haha

I boot the pc from livecd, but there is no sound supoort. No error message, the mp3 player "runs" properly, not muted, just no sound.. I'm using onboard realtek sound card, does it lead to the problem? About the video playback, do I need a add-on or whatsoever to play xvid, H264 videos?

One more thing, how can the webbrower display other foreign languages while OS language is English. Do I also need a add-on to display .. like chinese in the desktop and web sites?

hal8000
12-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie to linux, please help me if you can... haha

I boot the pc from livecd, but there is no sound supoort. No error message, the mp3 player "runs" properly, not muted, just no sound.. I'm using onboard realtek sound card, does it lead to the problem? About the video playback, do I need a add-on or whatsoever to play xvid, H264 videos?

One more thing, how can the webbrower display other foreign languages while OS language is English. Do I also need a add-on to display .. like chinese in the desktop and web sites?

Do you hear the startup message "Startup system initiated"?

If no then your sound card has not been initialised.
Open the terminal and type
su (press enter then type)
modprobe ac97

You will need a plugin to play mp3's and possibly xvid videos.
You can try the synaptic manager or simply type
apt-get update
apt-get install w32codecs

Default locale for knoppix is German or us english. If you click the flag on the kde system tray
you should be able to add chineese to the languages. You may have to log out then log in for
changes to take effect but konqueror should then use the new character set.