PDA

View Full Version : Can you clean pagefile.sys with knoppix?

metanapour
01-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Hi all! First I'd like to say I think knoppix is awesome, being able to recover files after a catastrophic failure with such ease! I've used it several times now for whenever windows XP decides to fail on me, however I need a special function.

My brother's laptop recently failed (either Vista or a hard-drive failure, we're a bit unsure as to the cause) and as ACER, alon with various other companies, haven't shipped the vista disc with the laptop, we are unable to fix it, or even reformat and re-install windows. I've used knoppix to reclaim his data before sending it back to Acer to be fixed, and also deleted senstive documents using knoppix. However I remembered that the pagefile can store some information too, as well as the hiberfile.sys. I would just delete these files, but Acer may use a missing pagefile as the excuse for the damaged drive, and thus charge him for the repair.

I know of programs like BCWipe that can clean the pagefile without deleting it, but I'd like to know if Knoppix can do this itself, or if there is a program I can install that will run on knoppix. Again not sure if I can install any software as it's all running off the CD. I think I can get away with just wiping the hiberfile.sys manually, but the pagefile.sys I would like to remain on the Hard drive so that the idiots at acer wont assume that was the problem, and send us back the faulty drive without actually fixing it.

Thank you for at least reading this post, even if you don't have a solution.

Long live Knoppix! lol

metanapour
01-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Just remembered I am using Knoppix 5.1

ndb
01-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't think that it's been proven to everyone's satisfaction that you can write to an NTFS partition safely. I haven't the guts to try it myself. I wouldn't have gone so far as to delete sensitive files. I'm sure that you will get further feedback agreeing with this.