PDA

View Full Version : Have just downloaded Knoppix using Bit Torrent now.......

TEEH
01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Hi, I have just downloaded Knoppix Live CD and I have this files I understand should be buerned to make a Linux Knoppix based CD or DVD, now I have some questions about this,

1- I do not know if I will burn a DVD or a CD, I have always used CD's in Windows as a bootable device such as Bart's PE and you just insert the CD and after a while you have a Windows based computer working with the OS located in the CD, my question is if Linux Knoppix in CD/DVD is similar, you insert it and boot from the CD and start Linux. I have not ever seen Linux and would like to get used to it before I install it as a second OS.

2- Once I have burned the CD/DVD using the proper recorder and after doing this and booting from the CD/DVD unit will this OS modify my C:/ files or perhaps do something unwanted on my PC HD?.

3- Is Linux Knoppix GUI similar to Windows Os's, files, format, archives, erase etc.....

Finally any recommendation on the prior points will be very much appreciated as I do want to look into this OS .

Best regards,

TEEH

Harry Kuhman
01-06-2009, 04:15 AM
1- I do not know if I will burn a DVD or a CD, I have always used CD's in Windows as a bootable device such as Bart's PE and you just insert the CD and after a while you have a Windows based computer working with the OS located in the CD, my question is if Linux Knoppix in CD/DVD is similar, you insert it and boot from the CD and start Linux. I have not ever seen Linux and would like to get used to it before I install it as a second OS.
Follow the documentation link at the top of this page and read the Downloading FAQ, it should give you all of the information you need about burning and booting Knoppix. I very strongly suggest that you never install it. It is intended to be run from the CD. Once you decide that you want a Linux system installed, there are much better choices to actually install. One would be Debian, the Linux system that Knoppix is based on. There are many others.

2- Once I have burned the CD/DVD using the proper recorder and after doing this and booting from the CD/DVD unit will this OS modify my C:/ files or perhaps do something unwanted on my PC HD?.
It will not modify your PC hard disk. In fact you have to go out of you way to try to make it modify anything on the hard dis, and I strongly suggest that you do not try to write to a NTFS partitioned hard disk with Knoppix. It can read the files there just fine (as long as the file system isn't encrypted), but it defaults to read-only access for safety.

3- Is Linux Knoppix GUI similar to Windows Os's, files, format, archives, erase etc.....
What answer would you like?

Why did you post this in the "Customizing and Remastering " section? It is about neither. I'll move it to a more appropriate forum for you.

TEEH
01-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Dear Mr. Kruman,

Have just finished burning a DVD with Knoppixs, the recorder did not accepted a 700 Mb CD so I had to burn it into a DVD ad it works great, no mess and really great OS, hope to learn more about it as I am also learning Joomla and many other related things. Sorry for the mistake I thought this was the forum I should have posted but I was wrong.

Last thing I have a Kingston Pen drive and would like to format it using Knoppix but I just do not find the format command, just a Floppy format utility and I would like to know how to do this.

* Will download a manual as soon as I found it.

TEEH

Harry Kuhman
01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I couldn't tell from your original post if you had downloaded the CD or DVD version, both are available (and in versions that default to German or English also). The current CD version is a year older, but it does have cleaner menus (somehow a lot of stuff that should be organized under the 5.3.1 menu system just got swept into "lost and found").

If you go to the news forum, near the top you will find a link for a free downloadable book that you might like. Also remember that Documentation link on the top of every page here to get to our wiki. And there are plenty of other good Linux references scattered around here and on the Internet.

If you are just talking about reformatting media, sure, Linux (and thus Knoppix) can do that. I personally always use some 3rd party formatting tools that I have for windows, so I'll let the manuals or other posters give you Linux formatting instructions. Just be careful, your devices have very different names than you know them by under Windows; be very sure that you are not about to format your hard drive with important information on it.