PDA

View Full Version : how to setup a network on linux based pc's

polhen
01-11-2009, 05:34 AM
hi !

i am trying to setup a network on my linux based pc's ..but it seems to me its very hard way to achieve it...
could anybody give me some instructions how to do it...

thx
pol

chip.ling
01-11-2009, 05:38 AM
hi !

i am trying to setup a network on my linux based pc's ..but it seems to me its very hard way to achieve it...
could anybody give me some instructions how to do it...

thx
pol

What exactly are you trying to do when you say setup a network?

To me, connect the cat 5 cable from you pc to the router will create a network already.

Rgds,
Chip

polhen
01-12-2009, 06:07 AM
hi !

i have wired network already established ...but i cant configure the knoppix m/c to recognize the connection to local computers...
so i need info ...how to make configutarion..of network settings, to be able to access shared folders on the network...
i have 2 linux pc's and 3 windows pc's...there is no problem in the windows its easy to configure windows network setting...
but the problem exist in the linux based m/c's ...
if anybody could really help me, i will appraciate that...

thx
pol

chip.ling
01-12-2009, 10:55 PM
so i need info ...how to make configutarion..of network settings, to be able to access shared folders on the network...
i have 2 linux pc's and 3 windows pc's...there is no problem in the windows its easy to configure windows network setting...
but the problem exist in the linux based m/c's ...

OK, so you are trying to perform action like folders sharing in your network with a mix of windows boxes and linux boxes.

So you need to perform three types of setup configurations (i.e. Linux to Linux, Linux to Windows and Windows to Linux)

1. Linux to Linux

To setup Linux to Linux directories sharing, you need NFS. See the FAQ 7 of the following link or search for NFS on the linux site.

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

2. Linux to Windows

To share Linux directories to windows machine, you need SAMBA. See FAQ 9 from the above link.

3. Windows to Linux

To share windows folders to Linux boxes, do the following:

3.1. Get the windows machine name or IP address (for example: WINBOX1)
3.2. Get the shared folder's name (for example: SHARE1)
3.3. Set it up on the windows box as usual.
3.4. On the Linux side, first create a directory as a mount point

$ su
#mkdir /media/winbox

3.5. Then run the mount command to mount the windows folder to the machine.

# mount -t smbfs //WINBOX1/SHARE1 /media/winbox -o username=xxx,password=yyy

Just created a FAQ 14 on the same link above, for more detail please check it out there.

Rgds,
Chip