PDA

View Full Version : WiFi card Identified as eth0

borgward
01-12-2009, 04:17 AM
why is my WiFi card being identified by Kwlan as eth0, instead of wlan0?

Dell Latitude CPi, Netgear MA401 802.11b PCMCIA card. This laptop was built without MODEM, Wireless, or Ethernet. There are no other PCMCIA devices loaded on this laptop. Is eth0 the way that Knoppix identifies a WiFi card, instead of wlan0

chip.ling
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
why is my WiFi card being identified by Kwlan as eth0, instead of wlan0?

Dell Latitude CPi, Netgear MA401 802.11b PCMCIA card. This laptop was built without MODEM, Wireless, or Ethernet. There are no other PCMCIA devices loaded on this laptop. Is eth0 the way that Knoppix identifies a WiFi card, instead of wlan0

Don't know how knoppix named the ethernet device. I have both the Dell Latitude D600 and D610, on knoppix 5.1.1, both wireless cards are identified as eth1 (the eth0 is the wired ethernet)

But when I test them with knoppix 5.3.1, it shows wlan0.

Rgds,
Chip

borgward
01-13-2009, 12:08 AM
>when I test them with knoppix 5.3.1, it shows wlan0.

>>What did you use to test them w/Knoppix?

>>Is Knoppix running live, or installed on the HDD's of those laptops?

>>I assume that you are running the Broadcom wireless that is built into those Latitudes.

>>Do you ever have trouble connecting at public WiFi spots?

chip.ling
01-13-2009, 12:27 AM
>when I test them with knoppix 5.3.1, it shows wlan0.

>>What did you use to test them w/Knoppix?

>>Is Knoppix running live, or installed on the HDD's of those laptops?

>>I assume that you are running the Broadcom wireless that is built into those Latitudes.

>>Do you ever have trouble connecting at public WiFi spots?

I only use Knoppix as a live CD/DVD. (i.e. boot it from CD/DVD) and most of the time I use it for internet browsing via the wireless NIC.

Yes, I am using the built in Broadcom wireless card and you have to use ndiswrapper to make it work. Check out http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ FAQ 13 on how I battle with the Broadcom card with 5.3.1.

No, I never try it outside on the public WiFi spots. Don't know where I can find one, I am at Toronto.

Rgds,
Chip

borgward
01-13-2009, 05:34 AM
>No, I never try it outside on the public WiFi spots. Don't know where I can find one, I am at Toronto.

>>Google WiFi hotspots Toronto. Some hotels provide it. Do not know what the situation is like where you are.

chip.ling
01-13-2009, 06:36 AM
>No, I never try it outside on the public WiFi spots. Don't know where I can find one, I am at Toronto.

>>Google WiFi hotspots Toronto. Some hotels provide it. Do not know what the situation is like where you are.

I believe I saw news on the TV saying that Toronto hydro will provide free wifi on the central downtown area in Toronto. (not sure whether they have it now)

However, I seldom went downtown ever since my company moved from downtown Toronto to another city north of Toronto 7 years ago. And if I go downtown, then most likely will be a family event and I will not bring my laptop with me.

I was told some MacDonald and Starbucks here in Toronto uptown provide wifi service but I don't know much about the detail.

I did saw one Coffee Time (or second cup not sure which one) near my office did provide wifi service but when I asked them, they say I have to sign up a plan with Rogers (the cable/internet company here) in order to use the wifi service.

The same thing happened last Oct when I was in London (UK), I went to a Starbucks and they say that they have wifi service, but I have to buy a prepaid airtime in order to use it.

How about in your region? Is that Wifi is really free?

Rgds,
Chip

borgward
01-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Pretty much free in Austin Tx area. Libraries,coffee shops, book stores. Also in coffee shops and libraries in Columbus ohio. Starbucks and McDonalds charge of course. McDonalds wants $3+ a day. Ridiculous. thats about $90/mo. Staebucks has lousy coffee, so won't pay them to use their WiFi