PDA

View Full Version : 5.3.1 audio does not work on Asus laptop

Cynthia Fu
01-13-2009, 01:31 PM
I installed 5.3.1 on my Asus laptop. But ALSA does not work on neither ROM version nor hard drive version. I execute 'lsmod|grep snd' shows:
snd_atiixp 24332 0
snd_atiixp_modem 20360 0
snd_ac97_codec 103716 2 snd_atiixp,snd_atiixp_modem
ac97_bus 6144 1 snd_ac97_codec

When i tried to manually 'modprobe snd_pcm_oss', I received 'FATAL: snd_pcm_oss not found'. When system starts up, console displays:
ALSA device list:
No soundcards found.

I tried other variation ie: 5.1, windows; audio works fine. What should i do to fix 5.3.1 audio problem?

hal8000
01-14-2009, 10:08 PM
I installed 5.3.1 on my Asus laptop. But ALSA does not work on neither ROM version nor hard drive version. I execute 'lsmod|grep snd' shows:
snd_atiixp 24332 0
snd_atiixp_modem 20360 0
snd_ac97_codec 103716 2 snd_atiixp,snd_atiixp_modem
ac97_bus 6144 1 snd_ac97_codec

When i tried to manually 'modprobe snd_pcm_oss', I received 'FATAL: snd_pcm_oss not found'. When system starts up, console displays:
ALSA device list:
No soundcards found.

I tried other variation ie: 5.1, windows; audio works fine. What should i do to fix 5.3.1 audio problem?

Thats alsmost answrable, but you forgot to state which model Asus laptop. Not to worry as this will help you:-
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/asus.html

The output from modprobe shows that some sound modules have loaded ac97_bus has a 1 so one module is using
this. Its possible that you may have to do rmmod (module name) then modprobe with the correct sound module to
get sound. Im hoping the linux on laptop link above will tell you which to load.
The pcm drivers were deprecated from the linux kernel some time ago, so sound is now usually down to ALSA.
One last thing to try and youve probably done this but just open kmix and make sure that no levels are muted.
Some distributions do enable sound but mute the mixer controls.
Hope that helps.

Cynthia Fu
01-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the valuable input.

My Asus laptop model is A6R. I looked through asus laptop list as you suggested; unfortunately there is no break-thru information, and it states "This laptop is not very suitable for Linux and Asus still refuses to support Linux." under A6R model.

I found a lot of snd_* modules under /sys/module directory. So i tried to rmmod snd related modules, then modprobe snd_ac97_bus instead of ac97_bus; but i still received "FATAL: Module snd_ac97_bus not found.".

I also tried:
- put snd related modules back to reboot stage.
- execute "/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart" successfully
- turn everything to max on kmix
- execute "speaker-test", and there is no sound.

Is there anything else that i can try?

hal8000
01-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Just had a quick look on google. Looks as though that particular Acer is troublesome.
However someone does have sound working in the Ubuntu camp:-

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-133650.html

If the sound card is made by realtek then
as root

rmmod (every sound module you see)
when you do
lsmod | grep snd

then

modprobe snd-hda-intel

the above line is the one that got sound working in Ubuntu although sometimes manufacturers
change chipsets[/img]

hal8000
01-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Just had a quick look on google. Looks as though that particular Acer is troublesome.
However someone does have sound working in the Ubuntu camp:-

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-133650.html

If the sound card is made by realtek then
as root

rmmod (every sound module you see)
when you do
lsmod | grep snd

then

modprobe snd-hda-intel

the above line is the one that got sound working in Ubuntu although sometimes manufacturers
change chipsets
Good luck and post back if it works

Cynthia Fu
01-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the input. I checked the Ubuntu site; but their solutions did not work with knoppix. It appears that Asus A6R owners do not like knoppix except me.

I tried to replace atiixp modules with snd-hda-intel. But it did not work. Kmix appeared normal with atiixp modules; but it displays nothing with snd-hda-intel module.