PDA

View Full Version : Need HAL

grandad
01-16-2009, 03:46 PM
[color=black][color=black]Hi there. I was loading Knoppix into RAM, but found it to be a bit eratic. The one good thing was that I could play Audio CD's in the drive. Now I am using it from the Cd I have to use an external DVD/CD player and every time am being told that I cannot use it because it needs HAL. I have searched everywhere for a HAL download and failed to find one.[ I would have thought that HAL would have been on the Knoppix CD, but if it is I cannot locate it. Can anyone help? Regards Grandad Walt

OErjan
01-16-2009, 05:20 PM
uhm, hal should already be there, it is more likely you lack access to it.
if you type
groups do you get the ones below?

users wheel floppy audio video cdrom plugdev

if not try

sudo usermod -G users,audio,wheel,cdrom,plugdev knoppix
if you have added a user change knoppix to username.

grandad
01-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info, it is good to know there are those who care. But I was looking in Knoppix Package Manager and actually found HAL. Seems it was already installed. Wondered why then, that it was not helping me. Anyway I think I have gone some way to resolving the issue. Put a Music CD into the DVD drive and 'hey presto' Caffein found it and I had a real treat seeing it all displayed as it ought to be. No problems whatsoever now. This Knoppix is all and everything I ever wanted. Every day I learn something more about it. Thanks again Guy's. You are the best. Grandad Walt