View Full Version : HOW TO BURN v5.3 TO DVD?

iDev
01-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Just downloaded Knoppix 5.3 (DVD version) via BitTorrent.

It is a ZIP FILE of 4.14gb (btw, I use jZip, not winzip or winrar).
I assume it must be unzipped first, and then burned to DVD.
Is there a particular file for beginning this process, or what is the procedure?

Thanks!

Harry Kuhman
01-17-2009, 07:57 AM
It is a ZIP FILE of ...
It is not a zip file.

Open any folder on your computer, go to the tools menu item, pick folder options ..., when that opens go to the view tab, and find the option to hide extensions for known file types and turn that off (uncheck it).

Once you have done that, follow the documentation link near the top of this page and read the downloading faq, which includes detailed burning instructions.

iDev
01-17-2009, 04:31 PM
It is a ZIP FILE of ...
It is not a zip file.

Open any folder on your computer, go to the tools menu item, pick folder options ..., when that opens go to the view tab, and find the option to hide extensions for known file types and turn that off (uncheck it).

Once you have done that, follow the documentation link near the top of this page and read the downloading faq, which includes detailed burning instructions.

It most definitely IS A ZIP FILE. It is in ZIP format directly from the download. Clicking on it offers the option to extract the files, and the files CAN be extracted. I DO appreciate your response, but it is entirely unintelligible to me....

Anyone have basic step-by-step help? IF LINUX IS THIS CRYPTIC BEGINNING WITH THE DEMO, IS IT EVEN WORSE TRYING UTILIZE IT INSTALLED ON A SYSTEM??

iDev
01-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I also downloaded v5.1 as CD via BitTorrent. It too is a ZIP file--It is clearly labeled as such and can be extracted.

It'd be nice to use either of these---but clear, detailed instructions instructions don't seem to exist!!

Harry Kuhman
01-17-2009, 07:45 PM
...It most definitely IS A ZIP FILE. ....

.... It too is a ZIP file--It is clearly labeled as such....!
How interesting. Since you will not follow my previous instructions, try this:
Open the folder that the file is in. Point the cursor at the file and don't move it until the little help balloon pops up. Does that help balloon say it is a zip file, or does it just perhaps identify the file type as an ISO file? Repeat this experiment on a real zip file to see the difference.

chip.ling
01-18-2009, 02:43 AM
I also downloaded v5.1 as CD via BitTorrent. It too is a ZIP file--It is clearly labeled as such and can be extracted.

It'd be nice to use either of these---but clear, detailed instructions instructions don't seem to exist!!

The easiest way to identify a file's type is as follow:

On Win XP ==> Start ==> All Programs ==> Accessories ==> Command Prompt

Then you will have the DOS box appears.

If the above does not work, try

On Win XP ==> Start ==> Run ==> Enter "cmd" ==> click OK

OK, now you have a DOS box

Assume you have download the knoppix image file on "c:\temp\download", type the following in the DOS box

cd /d "c:\temp\download"
dir

Then check the output file listing and see if the file has an extension equal ".zip" or ".iso"

Rgds,
Chip

Clinton
01-18-2009, 04:10 PM
iDev, the instructions do exist and Harry pointed you to them. If you are already familiar with burning ISO files using XP or other OS then fine, just go ahead. If you aren't then we do have instructions. Try this (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ#Q:_I_have_downloaded_the_ISO_file. _How_do_I_burn_the_ISO.3F_How_is_the_ISO_supposed_ to_be_burned.3F).

iDev
01-18-2009, 05:41 PM
...It most definitely IS A ZIP FILE. ....

.... It too is a ZIP file--It is clearly labeled as such....!
How interesting. Since you will not follow my previous instructions, try this:
Open the folder that the file is in. Point the cursor at the file and don't move it until the little help balloon pops up. Does that help balloon say it is a zip file, or does it just perhaps identify the file type as an ISO file? Repeat this experiment on a real zip file to see the difference.

I appreciate your attempt, but your instructions are unintelligible to me due to the files.
It is strange that no one believes me. These files were downloaded the recommended way, through BitTorrent.

The "bubble" says clearly: "Type: Zip Archive File". Furthermore, it has the zip icon, and after extraction, it indeed appears in an expanded form, but no clearly marked "ISO" file. Yet both the extracted file and the zip file are the same size.

If the demo disc is this much of a pain, perhaps Linux just has too many complications/quirks at this stage for the average user??

el_supremo
01-18-2009, 06:36 PM
perhaps Linux just has too many complications/quirks at this stage for the average user
It has nothing to do with Linux. The problem is with you and Windows.
The file you downloaded MUST have an ISO extension otherwise you got the wrong file. BUT when you look at that file with windows explorer a couple of things can happen.
First, depending upon the type of view you are using in Windows Explorer, it may not even show you the extension at all.
Second, on my system I use Winzip and it has registered itself as the program which handles any file with one of these extensions: ZIP,ISO,LHA,LHZ,ARJ,GZ,TAR (and some others) and it tells the system to identify them all as "Winzip File". In Windows Explorer they all show up as "WinZIP file" no matter what their extension is. On your system, JZIP may have registered these filetypes and called them "ZIP Archive file" but the file you downloaded is still an ISO file and you must burn it, without decompressing it, straight to a DVD. And burning an ISO file is not the same as burning regular data. The program doing the burn must be capable of handling the ISO correctly. Not all programs do.

Pete

Harry Kuhman
01-18-2009, 07:34 PM
...It is strange that no one believes me. These files were downloaded the recommended way, through BitTorrent.

The "bubble" says clearly: "Type: Zip Archive File". Furthermore, it has the zip icon, and after extraction, it indeed appears in an expanded form,
You are not the first one to claim a file is a zip file when it is an ISO file. The ICON means absolutely nothing, that is just Windows way of telling you what program is associated with this type of file, and unfortunately many programs will grab various extensions and claim ownership of them, this is a common nusance in the Windows world. It happens a lot with graphics images, but also happens with other types of files. As to the fact that you can extract things from an ISO file, yea, you can. But to make a good Knoppix CD or DVD you should not, you need to burn the CD or DVD with the ISO file. And don't just copy the ISO to a disc, burn the disc with the instruction that I pointed you to.

And I told you how to find those instructions in the wiki. I will never take the short way out and just post the link to them, I want readers to know that the entire wiki is there with lots of documentation for them. If I posted a link directly to the faq then past experience tells me that people will post back and expect me to keep providing links when they have more questions.

As to that balloon saying it is a zip file, that is very troubling. This is exactly why I tried to get you to fix your copy of Windows and turn off the "feature" that hides the file extensions. If it really is a zip file then it is quite worthless. However, the official torrent does not deliver a zip file, it delivers an ISO file and several other tiny support files. If you are using the same torrent as found by the "Get Knoppix" link at the top of this page then it must be delivering an ISO file. If you found some strange torrents elsewhere then I guess they could be deliering anything. but it seems like a lot of effort to have gone through just to deliver something useless to you. I'm still not inclined to believe these are two zip files from two different torrent downloads. If you believe they are then either turn off the "feature" that hides the extension or do as another posted said and look at the files fron DOS, which does not hide the extension like Windows does.

Also check the last modified dates of the files to see if your "uncompression" program made any changes to the files. And do the md5 test against the files to see if the contents are as expected. If you have a truly rogue torrent they could have included bad md5 files with the zip, but I think it is much more likely that you either have an ISO file or that you managed to change the name of the ISO file to a zip file in your pointless attempts to uncompress it.

Clinton
01-18-2009, 08:09 PM
md5 - yes, check that out as well. It's discussed in the documentation.

As a complete Linux newbie the first time I burned a disk I did find that I had to read up a bit particularly as I wasn't familiar with ISO / CD burning, md5s ... or even BitTorrent (yes, I had to read up about BT and play around a bit with it first before it worked for me)! But none of that was Linux's fault.

chip.ling
01-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Chances are

1. you download a zip file from a site other than the official site. (delete the file right away because it may contain harmful virus, since the official site only provide iso image files for downloading)

2. Windows is lying to you and try to fool you that you get a zip file instead of iso file.

Now, before you jump to a conclusion what was happening. You need to find out what is the name of your downloaded file. For example, if you get a zip file, it will have a file extension ".zip" but instead if you get an iso file, the last part of the file (i.e. extension) will be ".iso"

Unfortunately, windows by default, hide the extension part of the filename from the user. Don't ask me why, they just don't want their user know what the full file name is.

In order to see the full filename, you have to configure the windows explorer to tell you the true file name (or the full file name).

Here are the steps to do that:

Open windows explorer ==> go to the folder which contains your downloaded knoppix file ==> from the tool bar ==> click tools ==> then select Folder Options ==> click the View tab ==> find the line "Hide extensions for known file types" ==> the check box in front of the line is checked ==> uncheck this line ==> click Apply ==> click OK

Now you should be able to see the true full file name.

If the file name is knoppix_blah_blah_blah.zip, then delete the file and download it again from the official site.

If the file name is knoppix_blah_blah_blah.iso, then move on to get ready to the next step.

Before you burn your downloaded iso image file to a cd disc, you may want to double check if the downloaded file is Ok. No funny thing happened during download time so that the file is actually corrupted.

This is what the other user mentions about the md5 checksum. You run a md5 checksum program against the downloaded file and it will generate a md5 checksum for you. Then you double check the answer with the md5 check sum file on the download site. If they match, then you have a good image. Else delete the file and download again.

However, for me, I burn my first downloaded knoppix ISO file without went through the md5 check sum. Instead, I use a 700 MB CD/RW disc. I can always reuse the disc if the image is corrupted.

To burn the iso image file to the cd, you need a cd burner and a cd burning software.

On Windows I use Nero. The step should be pretty standard across difference burning software.

In Nero, I open up Nero, the Nero Smart Start window kicks off. I place my mouse pointer over the various icons in Nero until I find the "Copy and Backup", then I select "Burn Image to Disc".

Then another window popup and I direct it to find my iso file. Then I click "Open". Under the "Burn Compilation" window, I select the "Burn" tab, On the action area, I select Write and Finalized CD.

The last thing I did was click on the "Burn" button and Nero then started to burn the image to the cd.

Rgds,
Chip

iDev
01-19-2009, 05:11 AM
And I told you how to find those instructions in the wiki... .

Wiki was no help here.

As to that balloon saying it is a zip file, that is very troubling. This is exactly why I tried to get you to fix your copy of Windows and turn off the "feature" that hides the file extensions. If it really is a zip file then it is quite worthless. However, the official torrent does not deliver a zip file, it delivers an ISO file and several other tiny support files. If you are using the same torrent as found by the "Get Knoppix" link at the top of this page then it must be delivering an ISO file...

The box is unchecked--no change.
The Link is the same one at top of page.

Also check the last modified dates of the files to see if your "uncompression" program made any changes to the files.

Downloaded 3x (CD and DVD)--Always labeled a zip file. No ISO to work with.

That's M$ for you.

Harry Kuhman
01-19-2009, 06:10 AM
The box is unchecked--no change.
The Link is the same one at top of page.

That's M$ for you.
While I certainly blame M$ for the idiotic hiding of the file extension, I can't see how to blame them for this.
If you are using the same torrent as reached by the Get Knoppix link near the top of this page then it has to be an ISO file, not a ZIP file.
I can't understand what you mean when you say "no change". Are you saying that file extensions are still not showing? If that is what you mean then you didn't apply the change or you did something else wrong. If you mean that the system changed but now it clearly shows a .ZIP extension on the end of the file name, well at least that is a change. But I would find it hard to understand.

If you really do have a ZIP extension (which I still doubt) then something on your system is renaming the file, and that is not problem that can be blamed on M$ (at least not directly) or on Linux, Knoppix or the torrent (not at all). Rename it back, do the md5 test, and if the md5 is good burn the CD or DVD as explained in the downloading FAQ.

Clinton
01-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Wiki was no help here.
Any chance you went to the wrong wiki rather than the one on this site itself? ;)

chip.ling
01-20-2009, 04:21 AM

Guys, I think we provided too much info that flooded him. Let's do it one step at a time before we move on to give any comment. Please DO NOT provide any feedback until iDev can answer the following question.

iDev, Can you tell us the full name of your downloaded file please?

Rgds,
Chip

iDev
01-21-2009, 05:28 PM

Guys, I think we provided too much info that flooded him. Let's do it one step at a time before we move on to give any comment. Please DO NOT provide any feedback until iDev can answer the following question.

iDev, Can you tell us the full name of your downloaded file please?

Rgds,
Chip

CD Version: KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso
DVD Version: KNOPPIX_V5.3.1DVD-2008-03-26-EN.iso

The names suggest they are iso files, but Windows doesn't seem to be treating the files as such.

Harry Kuhman
01-21-2009, 06:19 PM
CD Version: KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso
DVD Version: KNOPPIX_V5.3.1DVD-2008-03-26-EN.iso

The names suggest they are iso files, but Windows doesn't seem to be treating the files as such.
Thay are ISO files.

How "windows treats" them depends entirely on what program you use to manipulate them. As I already tried to explain, some programs including the one you installed for zip files "hijack" other extensions, and what that program does with a file extension is up to it. In your case the program likes to uncompress, so it tries to uncompress and extract from any extension it knows. If you assign the iso extension to a different program, one that burns ISO files to discs, or just use the burning program to burn the ISO file, then you can burn a disc. You don't need to change what program "owns" the ISO extension, just like many programs can edit a .txt file, many programs can open and use an ISO file. Many programs can deal with .wav or .mp3 files, some just do playback, some let you edit and create. What windows does by default when you click on a file of any extension type depends of what program has claimed ownership of the extension, but you can choose to use it with other programs.Windows itself knows nothing at all about ISO files until you load software that recognizes the extension, there is nothing built into windows to recognize .iso files (although it does recognize many other extensions).

Now once again I suggest that you follow the documentation link near the top of this page are read the downloading faq for detailed burning information. If you ask specific questions we may be able to help. If you just post back that you didn't understand anything then I certainly don't have any more help to offer.

If you have not yet done so, I still suggest that you fix windows so it does not hide files extensions from you. No good ever comes from Windows hiding this information.

chip.ling
01-22-2009, 05:27 AM
So the next step is to use any CD/DVD burning program to burn the image to the disc.

Use the "burn image to disc" option and make sure you finalize the session.

Rgds,
Chip