PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 6.0

nalini
01-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Kindly check this link for information about new knoppix release

http://www.nabble.com/Knoppix-feature-request%3A-better-ntfs-support-to20905323.html#a20905724

nicholas
01-25-2009, 05:31 PM

http://www.nabble.com/Knoppix-feature-request%3A-better-ntfs-support-to20905323.html#a20905724
I am know about kanotix already have ntfs-3g by default or i that not understand?

nalini
01-27-2009, 09:39 AM

I am know about kanotix already have ntfs-3g by default or i that not understand?

The Link has a line which says knoppix 6 will be released in near future ( from klaus knopper) and that is it ....

ruymbeke
01-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Hello all,
Finally Klaus did release Knoppix 6.0:
http://www.knoppix.com/
http://distrowatch.com/
Best Regards,
Gilles

Eppo
01-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Just fine !

A lot of Knoppix-users were disappointed about Knoppix 5.3.1: no CD version and other things they didn't like very much

So I think the new concept of Knopipx 6.0.0. can bring back old Knoppix fans

So let 's test

:wink:

turbine
01-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Knoppix 6 is crap. Pure crap. There I said it and I'm glad.

mikekgr
01-30-2009, 08:21 AM
@turbine: why?

Tom Tiger
01-30-2009, 10:31 AM
It works on my old Dell 2400 (compiz works also) and on my old laptop.... Just need to find a way to disable the anoying voice.... Love the LXDE desktop, pretty cool..

ndb
01-30-2009, 11:41 AM
I haven't gotten it working yet - my machine is an old P4, with 224M ram, 1.6GHz, and a Viewsonic A70f CRT monitor. I get a 'H.V frequency over range' message. I tried vga=normal screen=1024x768 vsync=60 hsync=60, with no change. I also googled it without results. Has anyone else had this problem?

turbine
01-30-2009, 01:03 PM

The default mode seems to be targeted to a minority, the visually impaired.
Then you're confined to a character based menu that restricts what you can do.

When I finally figured out that you can type knoppix at boot time and get a graphical interface, what I got was a presentation whose icons and print was so tiny that these old eyes could hardly perceive same. The top and bottom of the screen were off of the monitor and had to be scrolled to be seen.

I checked the cheat codes and found that you could specify a kde desktop and a different screen resolution. I tried and both were totally ignored.

The scarcity of apps is borderline criminal.

At that point I gave up and tossed the cd into the circular file.

Knoppix seems to have peaked at the 4.02 dvd version which is still my main day to day distro. It's gone downhill ever since.

Eppo
01-30-2009, 05:21 PM
It's alway's a good idea to consult K.Knopper's own website before complaining:
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix60-en.html

Take your big glasses and read:

....Here starting with speech support in text menu mode is set as default. That way, blind computer users can use the system without having to enter boot options blindly. and

The system can easily be modified, so that it starts into graphics mode directly without having to type "knoppix" as boot option, by changing syslinux.cfg after having copied the CD to a bootable memorystick using "flash-knoppix":
Change the upper line

DEFAULT adriane

to:

DEFAULT knoppix
"Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil" ;-) is in this context a little bit ambiguous here
Klaus Knoppix is right to do this for "the visually impaired minority". I' m just a "silversurfer", but I don't break down when I have to do this hard work and type "knoppix"

I had some Problems too, with graphics, but I saw in the changelog (last sentence)

* V6.0.0-2009-01-27/ADRIANE V1.1 (see also: Release Notes at http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix60-en.html)
- Complete rebuild from scratch, based on Debian/lenny (draft)
- New boot procedure with highly parallelized hardware detection and configuration
- LXDE (http://www.lxde.org/) as default desktop
- OpenOffice 3.0.1
- Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0.5
- Starts blind-friendly, talking ADRIANE menu by default (use boot option "knoppix"
for directly starting into graphical desktop)
- Very reduced software collection in order to easily fit on CD
- NetworkManager (support for Debian /etc/network/interfaces enabled)
- "flash-knoppix": Create bootable Memorystick from CD
- Begin of porting Knoppix 5.x boot options and features to the new system (not complete yet)
I can not exspect that in a beta-release all is perfect and I hope it works better with the bug-fix-release. Maybe there will be more cheatcodes available.

turbine
01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
"Klaus Knoppix is right to do this for "the visually impaired minority". I' m just a "silversurfer", but I don't break down when I have to do this hard work and type "knoppix""

The sonovabitch should have made a separate version and not required anyone to do extra work.

knopnet
01-31-2009, 03:58 AM
hi turbine :)

i think your language is a little too strong. I have met Klaus' mom and she is a very nice lady. he is not a sonovabitch.

to call him that is unfair, its kind of like if i called you a miserable incompetent moron.

that is how i feel about it.

have a nice day :)

rusty
01-31-2009, 06:18 AM
I have not had the chance to download the new CD , however I am looking forward to trying it out.

I would hope that this forum would be a place for constructive suggestions for improvements to the project and not a place for childish rants or insults.

Let's give Mr. Knopper our best efforts to help him improve this product of his selfless work, which has been an inspiration and basis for many important and useful projects.

Please keep this in mind.

patelbhavesh
01-31-2009, 06:31 AM
First off thanks for the new release.We appreciate it.

Initial observations
==============
1>Booting is very fast.
2>Shutdown is very fast
3>root seems to have a password - Does anyone know what it is ?

Im hoping we can get the DVD version soon

:D

dahveed3
01-31-2009, 03:25 PM
It was interesting to check out the LXDE desktop. I just briefly checked out the default ADRIANE bootup, then rebooted using knoppix to see what the environment was like.

It seems to me that this isn't the greatest setup to be an introduction to Linux (a demo), a system repair cd (absence of all those nice GUI repair tools that KDE, Gnome, Knoppix always came with), or really anything but a geek system. I'm sort of a geek, but one that likes to use GUI tools for most things. Where are they?

I noticed that the full range of stuff is available from the sources using Synaptic, but for a Live cd who wants to or has the RAM space to basically install an entire range of operating system tools and software onto such a minimal Knoppix? Kind of impossible without a USB pen drive knoppix.img of a rather large size and basically changing the entire system. So who would bother?

Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD, even with bugs, and all prior Knoppix versions were fantastic for all sorts of purposes. Besides the name, this really doesn't seem like Knoppix at all. I'm not even sure what the point of it is. Perhaps we'll be pleasantly surprised by future updates.

paradocs
02-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Greetings,

KNOPPIX 6.0 CD as a substantial advance in live
media Linux. From the live CD originator we have
a new laboratory to sharpen our ideas and learn.
If at first glance you dismiss it as having
a narrow focus for a small group of users,
you are missing out on exciting advances
in computer history.

Each KNOPPIX is a research project exploring
new technology and engineering. Each is a
gift in the Open Source tradition. So if
you want to take a trip, pull up the easy
chair, put in the disk, put on a blind fold
and see a new world. To experience ORCA
with a gui desktop pick option 10 and start
up gimp. Ok, you are allowed a tiny peek hole,
but not enough to read the menus.

A great new feature and a departure from
previous knoppix live CD offerings is that
the PCMan File Manager is all set to let you
write to your usb thumbdrive or fat32 partition.
NTFS and ext3 systems are still off limit maintaining
the knoppix commitment to preventing inadvertent
disk access while being free to experiment.

Don't be disheartened if each knoppix is not the next
hyped operating system to which you must instantly
convert. There is rather good commercial software
that works that way.

Why all this concern about accessibilty? Well,
we have learned that text messaging while driving
a locomotive is not a good idea. We can benefit
greatly by understanding that human accessibility
with machines is an important area of research.
I am expecting KNOPPIX to keep giving us more
surprises; how about a platform for speech recognition?

Sure, I operate from the awesome KNOPPIX DVD
and I am anxiously awaiting the next.

Best Wishes
paradocs

OErjan
02-01-2009, 11:29 AM
in my opinion it is a great piece of kit, any extras needed could be added on the fly.

juerware
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi, i´m a fan of knoppix.

my main distribution is 5.3.1 DVD because i haven´t got adsl in my house and knoppix has all software content to work at home.
i work with knoppix all days in my life and i think is very very good part of software.

i would like to know if release 6+ in DVD with all software like release 5.3.1 will be soon, later, simplely it will be, ...

for me is very important this software.

thanks for all.

ruymbeke
02-05-2009, 06:47 AM
... 3>root seems to have a password - Does anyone know what it is ? ...
I don't know if there is one but I think that you can get root privileges by typing "sudo su" (as done with Ubuntu).
Hope this helps,
Gilles

paradocs
02-05-2009, 07:19 AM
re password for root on Adriane

I too am looking and needing this.
So far here is my work-around:

I need root for Adriane mode.
I boot without a cheat code.
Select the Graphical option.
In the graphical option there is a root
terminal in the menu listings.
enter passwd
and enter your password twice

Without rebooting I get back into
Adriane and select shell
su
will ask for your pass word.
It will generate a root terminal
After this ALT F1 and ALT F2 will
switch between Adriane menu and
a root shell.

I expect most users will do this just for
the graphical section. Sorry I am
doing this from memory so ask if
what I say does not make sense.

I hope there is an easier solution
since I hate passwords when they
are not really serving a purpose.

Best Wishes

carolus
02-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Knoppix 6 with boot code "knoppix" boots to a black screen, empty but for a movable mouse cursor, on my old desktop that has worked fine with the last few Knoppix versions. ctl-alt-backspace resulted in the brief appearance of some log files, then automatic shutdown.

The md5sum for the boot disk (after burning) is correct.

You have to be fast to enter the boot code in the short interval provided, and on my display the first three characters of the "boot:" prompt are offscreen. A new user might not get past this point.

A method to change the default boot code that depends on booting from USB does not help those of us with a BIOS that is not capable of booting from USB.

I realize 6.0 is essentially a beta version. This is a report, not a complaint. 5.3.1 works fine.

ndb
02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I have been unable to get knoppix 6 working on my PC, 5.1.1 (I don't have a DVD drive) works fine. How do you run a md5sum after burning? I run winmd5 on the ISO file, but the file d:\KNOPPIX\knoppix is a different size. Do I run the sum on the directory?

carolus
02-05-2009, 11:41 PM
How do you run a md5sum after burning? I run winmd5 on the ISO file, but the file d:\KNOPPIX\knoppix is a different size.

I used:

dd if=/dev/cdrom |md5sum

I have seen suggested in a newsgroup:

md5sum /dev/cdrom

but I haven't tried that. I used Puppy Linux, for which the cdrom was actually /dev/sr0. (Nice lightweight live distro with good wireless support and boot CD removable by default.)

BrianX
02-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm going to start by saying that in my opinion, if you switch from one desktop to another, you're essentially creating a completely different product, and it's somewhat misleading to call it Knoppix 6 -- shouldn't it be Knoppix-LXDE or something like that? And I don't like the special effects very much -- they're kind of cool to watch, but they don't really add anything in terms of functionality, and having them enabled by default is going to drag down the performance of the hardware. (I also miss having easy access to programs like K3B, but I'm sure there's other functionality to replace it, so I'm not that worried.)

There's lots of little nitpicky things too. For example, there's only one logout option; I don't want to have to restart the computer or go to the command line just to restart the X session when the window server or desktop environment won't start (and there are at least a few instabilities of that sort, enough to be intensely annoying). And the fact that it starts up in widescreen mode seems a little odd, though not actually objectionable. And one major problem: Iceweasel just plain doesn't work on my hardware (HP Vectra VL, Pentium II/333, Radeon graphics card). I can't even get into yahoo mail without the browser crashing on me (it gets to the main page but sometimes blows up when my inbox opens).

Overall, I think Knoppix 6 is somewhat misconceived, and it might be a wise idea to split into production (v5) and experimental (v6) lines if Klaus can find the help to do it. Because this is not going to work for me as is, and I hope the bugs are going to be ironed out quickly.

tbobz
02-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Overall, I think Knoppix 6 is somewhat misconceived, and it might be a wise idea to split into production (v5) and experimental (v6) lines if Klaus can find the help to do it. Because this is not going to work for me as is, and I hope the bugs are going to be ironed out quickly.

I fear that 5.3.1 is the end of Knoppix as we have known it. I wish Klaus well on his new efforts, and continue to hold him in very high esteem for providing the world with a killer distro these last several years. Just wishing that some guru would come out with a slimmed down version of 5.3.1 so I could use the toram cheatcode. I tried myself, but my attempt was stillborn. So if anyone is willing, my request is that the files needed to open previous encrypted partitions are included. Throw in Wine and I'd be happy.
-tbobz

carolus
02-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Knoppix 6 with boot code "knoppix" boots to a black screen, empty but for a movable mouse cursor, on my old desktop that has worked fine with the last few Knoppix versions. ctl-alt-backspace resulted in the brief appearance of some log files, then automatic shutdown.
I was simply too hasty. The cursor appears a long time before anything else, but if you wait long enough, the user interface appears.

Flying2Eagles
02-10-2009, 12:32 AM
hello Carolus
If you get the black screen, try bring up the command screen.
Then type sudo init 1
You should be in command line mode now.
Next type init 5
Lxde should appear normal.
I'm using a desktop and works for me every time.

Flying2Eagles
:)

carolus
02-11-2009, 05:00 AM
hello Carolus
If you get the black screen, try bring up the command screen.
Then type sudo init 1
You should be in command line mode now.
Next type init 5
Lxde should appear normal.
I'm using a desktop and works for me every time.

Flying2Eagles
:)

Just waiting long enough basically solves the problem. Trying to bring up the command line interface with ctl-alt-backspace too soon simply displays some log files briefly and then powers down. Sometimes I get the message "Error - unable to establish connection with FAM. Do you have FAM or Gamin installed and running?" when booting. Clicking OK leads to a mostly-black screen but with a functioning start menu. Selecting "file manager" from the start menu then generates the full background.

On my laptop, the new wireless package recognizes my Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG chipset well enough to identify the available local networks, but fails to connect to an unsecured WLAN when I click on it. Possibly I don't understand how to use the interface. I'm not willing to put much time into pursuing this - like finding and installing a driver - since I can use Puppy Linux when I need wireless. I haven't seen anything about Knoppix 6 wireless in either this thread (Knoppix 6) nor in the Knoppix wireless forum, though it seems to be a major new feature.

addendum - similar wireless problem - "sees, but doesn't connect under Knoppix 6":
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/rosewill-rnx-g300lx-ralink-sees-but-doesnt-connect-under-knoppix-6-703010/
Unsolved, thread terminated with original poster abandoning Knoppix.

addendum 2 - all these problems have been solved in version 6.01. Wireless now connects easily.

oliwek
04-20-2009, 07:02 AM

The default mode seems to be targeted to a minority, the visually impaired.
Then you're confined to a character based menu that restricts what you can do.

When I finally figured out that you can type knoppix at boot time and get a graphical interface, what I got was a presentation whose icons and print was so tiny that these old eyes could hardly perceive same. The top and bottom of the screen were off of the monitor and had to be scrolled to be seen.

I checked the cheat codes and found that you could specify a kde desktop and a different screen resolution. I tried and both were totally ignored.

The scarcity of apps is borderline criminal.

At that point I gave up and tossed the cd into the circular file.

Knoppix seems to have peaked at the 4.02 dvd version which is still my main day to day distro. It's gone downhill ever since.

even if knoppix 6 adriane appears to "be targeted to a minority, the visually impaired -- I configured mine to boot automatically to the graphical lxde desktop, and found this distro to be really reactive on "cheap" hardware (original asus netbook eee-pc 701 4g) even with compiz activated -- I think this would be a good choice : you have so many linux distros nowadays for "normal users" (not the case when knoppix, "the original linux livecd", appeared first), you can configure it easilly to boot as mine or type boot=knoppix at boot, and most importantly : it's really easy for you to type something to get the visual interface, it is not so for visually impaired people (who can use finally a livecd out of their home/adapted pc)...
Knoppix adriane brings something that was left out of the main distributions, can adapt to everyone, is light in packages (read : you can modify it to get a custom distro for your needs easier than with previous full-packaged knoppix versions)...
not so bad I think

:wink:

iki
04-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Hi! I was introduced effectively to Linux through ubuntu, since I had to install it in the pc at home and the owner was careless/naive enough to completely ruin the Window$ OEM install (no problem...it was an useless 'Starter Edition' one). So, as many people nowadays, I wasn't forced to learn bash to be able to have a more than usable o.s.. I've tried several distros (I even put an old hd in the pc in which I installed AntixM-8 for me to use) and in the process also downloaded Knoppix 6.0 when it was launched. My image of Knoppix up to then (of hearing about) was that it was a basic distro much used as a recovery tool. Now that I read these testimonies I figure out that maybe although it was rather for the technically savvy, it also was a fairly embracing package. But it's quite clear that some people were not viewing this release by it's own merits.
Of all the distros I tried, this is certainly the most impressive live-cd. I have no 'technical' arguments for that but: the A.D.R.I.A.N.E. is worth praising, it boots in graphical mode in no-time, its LXDE is beautiful, snappy and integrated and it has a sleek but 'high-profile' software selection. It's a pity I've got no thumbdrive, but as soon as I get one Knoppix6 would be my portable o.s. option (specially if the 'persistent' option works well).
It's quite unique too the way this forum work, or don't work, since most questions are completely ignored. :roll:
I managed to skip the 'adriane' option by choosing #9 'shell' and typing 'startx'.
Also, we have ADSL PPPoE connection here and it was a no-brainer to connect at first but recently I routed my modem and Knoppix' auto-DHCP just doesn't work. Al other distros I tried work fine but, if anybody 's interested, I think it has something to do with Knoppix' user and super-user handling. In Antix (also Debian Lenny based) auto-DHCP connects fine but after the 'slim' login screen it somehow loses the connection and regains again the first time any operation as 'root' is performed. Has anyone had a similar issue with auto-DHCP not connecting (the network tool in 'System Tools', when run, states something like 'there was no DHCP response/answer')? I see that it seems an update was released...maybe this was fixed.
Knoppix is special!

RoyalMail
07-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Knoppix 6...sucks! Where are all the tools? How does one turn off this compiz junk? And how to get to a UK keyboard with international/dead keys? Just silly problems from the first five minutes of testing.

koolb
08-01-2009, 11:17 PM
This 6.0.1 has been great for me. I needed to get the the wl.ko driver and build it, but with the that driver and dual monitor LXrandr and xrandr I have a USB-boot drive that supports all dell BRCM wireless and multiple monitors. A minimum requirement for me.

I still use my 5.3.1 DVD iso (on my hd via grub/visita dual boot) for booting and resizing my knoppix-data.img file to larger sizes.

I am very happy with the fast-boots, ubuntu compatibility (new /etc/apt/sources.list) (no need to suspend or hibernate now on usb).

I have ice-dove using hotwayd and hotsmtpd to get send my hotmail accts and gmail (by default) also.

Kudos to to the 6.0.1 changes.

Faisal
09-10-2009, 09:59 AM
It has been so long that newer version of knoppix not arrived.
Hope for built-in support for wine and all webcam drivers.
When will newer version of knoppix release?

knopnet
09-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Klaus has suggested that those who need new a new version now should investigate Ubuntu and its derivatives.

borgward
10-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Klaus has suggested that those who need new a new version now should investigate Ubuntu and its derivatives.

Klaus must be running Ubuntu on state of the art equipment. I have been disappointed with every version of Ubuntu that came my way. Very slow. Same for Xubuntu. Windows XP boots about twice as fast on my old Dell Latitude CPi than Ubuntu live or HDD install. Thats saying a lot as I am no fan of MS.

mocatz187
10-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Knoppix 6...sucks! Where are all the tools? How does one turn off this compiz junk? And how to get to a UK keyboard with international/dead keys? Just silly problems from the first five minutes of testing.

I know Kubuntu offers it but you had better think twice before getting anything with dead keys.
There is way to many language specific rules for that stuff that cause a nightmare of different adaptions from hundres of programmers from at least dozens of countries and if you think for one second that thats not going to cause problems then go try Kubuntu, just hope your not a programmer cause that stuff is full of bugs that mess with your code.

DEAD KEYS can't be turned off!!

Machstem
11-01-2009, 05:58 PM
:? Ubuntu is not an option. Klaus is too busy with work and family to devote all his time to Knoppix. Perhaps now is the time to loosen the reighns on Knoppix and allow others to take on some of the work. Knoppix is just too darned good to let it wither on the vine.

Timmi
11-05-2009, 04:53 AM
:? Ubuntu is not an option. Klaus is too busy with work and family to devote all his time to Knoppix. Perhaps now is the time to loosen the reighns on Knoppix and allow others to take on some of the work. Knoppix is just too darned good to let it wither on the vine.

I soooo agree with you on that! I'm writing this on a Kubuntu Live CD - it's better than Ubuntu, but not as good as Mint-ubuntu, and for some reason, I like Knoppix even better than Mint. As a beginner in Linux, I'm forced to boot into windows much more often than I want to, because webcam support seems to have been pushed aside. Yet, just as the telephone replaced the messenger (the one on foot I mean, not on your screen), there are more and more of us using webcams in our daily conversations... it's no longer for the few, but now used in many homes for keeping in touch with family, friends, and for telecommuting/teleconferencing.

Collaborative work may definitely be the solution to some components important to others. (unless Klaus plans to concentrate on a distribution for the vision impaired only, down the road - if it is the case, we should be told of that, as a distro's future roadmap is part of the decision as to whether we adopt a certain distro)

Chris2222
02-18-2010, 01:51 PM
I tried 6.2

knoppix lang=us and then it just went to a black screen on my old toshiba portege laptop. I only waited about a minute but I felt that was too long for anything to come up so I thought it didn't work.

How long do I need to wait before I get a menu screen to pop up?

in the meantime i see knoppix 6.2.1 is out so i'll be trying that out soon.