PDA

View Full Version : knoppix 6.0 Frugal install or booting from ISO.

kagashe
01-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi,

I am using various Linux distributions since 2004 and KANOPPIX for the first time. Generally I avoid burning a CD and try to boot from ISO after copying the files to a spare Hard Disk partition and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst for that partition. I downloaded KNOPPIX 6.0 yesterday and tried to boot as per my method. This is the entry I made for KANOPPIX 6.0:

title KANNOPIX Frugal
root (hd0,9)
kernel /boot/isolinux/linux root=/dev/sda10 lang=en toram frugal
initrd /boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
I also tried to add fromhd=/dev/sda10 and changing sda to hda but it does not work.

I was getting this error:

sh: can't access tty: job control turnedThis is after KNOPPIX boots using the linux and minirt.gz
If I type mount at # prompt I can see that /proc /sys etc are mounted.

I think that the system can't find KNOPPIX folder which is located on the same partition from which it boots.

I have also read the following on distrowatch.com:

Knoppix 5.x boot options and features to the new system (not complete yet)
Does it mean I can't boot from ISO or have frugal install of KNOPPIX 6.0?

kagashe

scsand
01-30-2009, 11:47 PM
I've been fighting the same issue for the past day. 6.0 obviously doesn't have a hd install option like the other versions. Getting the same error.

Looks like the live cd is mounted on /mnt-system when it boots, but I placed those files in the root directory of my empty partition.

Tried creating /mnt-system to mimic live cd with no luck. I'll keep tinkering but if anybody has any solutions please share.

scsand