PDA

View Full Version : Can't find a basic knowing knoppix link

passionkiller
02-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Hey there all!!!!
I am new to LInux and Knoppix. I am trying my best to have a simple understanding of the features and I am totally lost. I need a begginers guide to 5.1. Every command I try to run, makes me encounter a lot more trouble. I can't figure out how to run anything. The help topics within the cd are very, very unprecise, basically I can't find anything.

Basic things like copying a file in the system32 folder, mounting volumes, etc.

Please help

OErjan
02-07-2009, 07:55 PM
where do you want to copy a file from and to where?
mounting a volume is easy, just click on the icon on the desktop.

passionkiller
02-07-2009, 08:36 PM
hey Orein, thanks for your reply.
But, I have done that and it still keeps giving me an error message, that I can't write to the volume.

I have mount it the volume
I have click on the read only mode
and when i try to copy over the ntoskrnl.exe file that is bad, it gives me the error.

Notes:
1) I have tried to pull the good file from several different locations including the recovery partition on the HDD, another laptop, a recovery cd.
2) It also mentions to try and do it from the root console, sure enough I get an error message about the password
3) I try to join my windows network and it mentions the need for network-admin password

As you can see, I am running in to all the little things that I think I can solve with a little bit of research and reading, but I can't the direction to go to get me out of my frustration.

I like trail and error, but when you get somewhere!

Thanks again,

OErjan
02-08-2009, 11:20 AM
i would NOT reccomend using Knoppix to write to a Windows boot partition, it is NOT safe, atleast in my opinion.
in your seat I would try BARTPE or similar WINDOWS based rescue disk.
Knoppix is great to RESCUE files from a dead linux or windows install, can even find deleted files and such, but, writing to a already bad Windows partition is a 10% chance it will NEVER run again before whole partition is removed and reformatted, it has been my experience at least.