PDA

View Full Version : Will Not Boot Cannot Find Filesystem

rtrahan
02-11-2009, 01:50 AM
This has happened with 2 different DVDs. One from the Linux Bible and One from Knoppix hacks. It works great the first time, but any boot after that is cannot find the DVD/CD player. I can see it searching, their is a rolling file sda, sda2, hda,etc. then a "Knoppix cannot find filesystem" shows up...I've tried it on different computers and both disc do the same thing. This are not downloads these are disk that came with the book? Any help will be greately appreciated. I already tried BIOS, as one person in this forum suggested as it worked for them, but did not work for me..

rtrahan
02-11-2009, 02:17 AM
Upon boot typed in:
knoppix home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img

Thanks to the guy (I didn't get his online name) who offered it..appreciate it.

rtrahan
02-11-2009, 03:03 AM
The above worked the first time but after I got out of Knoppix and rebooted it did not work the second time..if anyone does find an answer let me know..thanks

hal8000
02-13-2009, 09:59 PM
knoppix home=scan

should find your persistant image, if that is what youre trying to do.

If you are booting from the CD and getting this message, its probably down to dirty optics.
The knoppix CD's are heavily compressed and contain approx 2G onto a single 700M CD rom,
as such the CD/DVD drive must focus perfectly on the disc.

Try using an audio cd player lens cleaner (one with small soft brushes that wipe the laser), Ive used
these several times with success to clean the laser, alternative is a can of compressed air sold to blow
dust away.
You can alo try cleaning the knoppix CD, make sure there are no scratches, dust or fingerprints.
HTH

rtrahan
02-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I've actually got two CD's from two different books that give the same error. one from the Linux Bible and one from Knoppix Hacks. So its factory CD's not anything I downloaded. Also, in both cases it worked the first time but never again. During boot before I get the 'can't find file system' message it does like a spin, going through all of the hard drive names, sda, sda1, hda, hda1, etc...and then stops and gives that error message. It's like it can't find the CD ROM.

Harry Kuhman
02-14-2009, 01:04 AM
As we discussed in a previous thread, you seem to be using pretty old versions of Knoppix. If you have an SATA optical drive then either get a more current copy of Knoppix or check your BIOS and see if there is any option for "legacy support" that you can enable or disable in your BIOS for the optical drive, or do both.