PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 6.0.1 Adrianne free

mickrussom
02-10-2009, 10:58 PM
@turbine: why?At that point I gave up and tossed the cd into the circular file.
My Knoppix 6.0.0 disc ended up in the trash. I still use 5.3.1 DVD/5.1.1 CD now. I'm going to download 6.0.1 (no Adrianne) and try it and hope that things got firmed up a bit.

I was concerned about the lack of previously included software and the catering to a vast minority of users.

I would also like to more transparency in development/release process produced on a website (similar to how FreeBSD does it, so you know where the project is) and releasing of Knoppix CD and DVD at the same time.

Also, all cheat codes and boot modes from previous versions should work where possible.

carolus
02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I like 6.01, on first contact. Especially the easy wireless connection. Thanks, Klaus.

I suppose there will eventually be a DVD. I very much like the development tools plus scientific software plus diagnostics on the 5.3.1 DVD. Meanwhile, what is the limit of what I could install with synaptic when writing exclusively to an external USB drive? Physical memory plus swap?

Harry Kuhman
02-11-2009, 08:35 PM
As first reported by new user cpm, the md5 checksum (at least for the English edition) is incorrect. This is seen both in mirror downloads and the torrent files. The actual md5 checksum for the EN ISO is apparently
d642d524dd2187834a418710001bbf82

patelbhavesh
02-14-2009, 01:30 AM
is there a changelog for what has changed between 6.0 and 6.0.1 ?

Rubyxx
02-19-2009, 11:58 PM
I think Knoppix Adrianne 6-01 is a beautiful new concept.

Instead of using a cd, it is very easy to load theentire Knoppix system unto a 6-8 GB Pendrive.
If you don't like Adrianne telling you what to do the just type knoppix at the boot screen

After that you can just walk about with Knoppixt on your key chain and if you later want to add KDE and Gnome, 6-8 GB of USB drive is more than enough.
The Pendrive concept also means you can more easily save personal files and update system files than on a CD.

It does cost a bit more ,admittedly, to have a Knoppix pendrive in your pocket rather than a CD.
But, I guess in a few years even 20GB Pendrives will be really cheap.

Rubyxx

Rubyxx
02-22-2009, 11:19 PM
On second thoughts, Knoppix 6.01 on flash drive has a # of issues, firstly it doesn't have the normal /home /user /etc /bin /boot folders so it is hard to install programs that are outside the packages
Secondly it needs a few tries to read a DVD or CD. Thirdly, and probably most important of all, Adriane email and sms don't work for reason #1. Its a shame really because I really love the knoppix on a
flashdrive concept. I hope they make it work

carolus
02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Although gcc is present in 6.01, neither make nor configure seems to be installed. They cannot be found in synaptic, either.

tikitikitimbo
03-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Since there's been so many negative things about 6.01, I thought I'd post on some of the things that are cool so other people might take the time to check it out.

1. No KDE 4.0

I've been using a Mandriva/Knoppix hybrid DVD for Chinese users called B2D that came with KDE 4.0 and it totally blows. I have no idea what they were thinking with the new layout. It's really a step backwards in terms of usablility. I felt like they had a pretty good thing going with KDE 3.0 and they decided to completely screw it up. So, Knoppix 6.01 moved to LXDE. I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of this either but it is snappy and fairly intuitive. One question I have about LXDE besides the problem of the LXTerminal and the MC keybindings I mentioned in the Networking Forum is how to access the virtual desktops. I can see that there are four virtual desktops open by right-clicking an application icon but is there a hotkey combination to get to them?

2. IceWeasel 3.06

Finally, a LiveCD with a relatively recent browser. It was such a bummer being left out of the latest browsers. The rendering looks great except I do have a bit of a problem with what appears to be broken unicode support. I can't see any Chinese no matter what settings I use which is a bit of a disappointment, but hey this is supposed to be a postive post so I'll save that for another thread.

3. Elinks works great with Gmail.

This isn't really new as it worked before, but it looks cleaner to me for some reason. It really saved my ass to because I made the stupid decision to edit a big file in OpenOffice on a machine with no local storage and no samba and apparently not even FTP and then IceWeasel kept crashing as I logged into Gmail but I was able to get it out with Elinks which handled a paste straight from OpenOffice. Slick stuff.

4. OpenOffice looks great and is fast.

I'm not typically a big OpenOffice user, but I rely on it occasionally and I was surprised to see how fast it started and the latest version looked and responded better than I remember previous releases. If it was up to me though, this would be optional because some other stuff like samba seems more essential. I'd even put Wine before OO. Let the whiners use vi.

5. Gmplayer

Again, this is not new, but it's good to see Mplayer is in the mix. No XMMS though?

6. For those worried about K3B, there's genisoimage and growisofs which works even better in my opinon although I'm simply mouthing off on this point because I haven't actually tried them with 6.01 as this machine has no burner. But I looked and they seem to be there.

The biggest down sides I'm seeing so far is the apparent lack of basic networks tools like Samba or even FTP (tell me I'm wrong here, please) and the previous Knoppix Wine installations were so good I got sort of hooked on them and I was quite disappointed to see that get left out.

I had hoped to do a USB drive install as that seems to be hinted at as the way to go, so I picked up a drive this week and unfortunately after I got home it wouldn't mount. I'm not blaming that on 6.01 though because I couldn't mount it on other machines either.

eco2geek
03-10-2009, 03:24 AM
Since CeBit's over, a new version of Knoppix can't be far behind. A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD, with KDE 4.2 and GNOME 2.22 as well as LXDE, and every application under the sun (with the exception of a GUI-based CD/DVD burning application) is already available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.

So those who aren't interested in the ADRIANE (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html) project can still have their favorite Swiss Army knife Live CD.

(XMMS hasn't been in Debian for a while now. It looks like Audacious replaced it.)

<edit> That's nifty, you can install current NVIDIA drivers the "Debian way" (http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#head-bae079b46519cdb997c0ecb8ed33528a17864946) while running from the live DVD.

carolus
03-10-2009, 11:13 PM
A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD, with KDE 4.2 and GNOME 2.22 as well as LXDE, and every application under the sun (with the exception of a GUI-based CD/DVD burning application) is already available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.

Not in the form of an iso, but of 31 (encrypted?) rar files. Before I spend several days to download this at 10 kB/s, can you tell me how to decrypt (if necessary) and reassemble?

eco2geek
03-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Not in the form of an iso, but of 31 (encrypted?) rar files. Before I spend several days to download this at 10 kB/s, can you tell me how to decrypt (if necessary) and reassemble?

The archive is not password-protected, if that's what you mean. Each piece comes with a superfluous *.md5 file (superfluous because the bittorent protocol does its own error checking). How fast they reassemble on your computer would probably depend on your CPU more than anything else.

The archive extracts to a ~2.9 GB ISO with an md5 sum of

f7d618521bd97c3a1a54831218cadadd

Extracting the archive is as simple as running rar x "Knoppix 6.1.part01.rar" whether you're in Windows at a command prompt, or in Linux.

What else? You'll need to use the "lang=us" cheatcode (IIRC the "=" sign is Shift+0 on the German keyboard layout) in order to get it running in US English.

carolus
03-11-2009, 04:17 AM
The archive is not password-protected, if that's what you mean.

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks.

I presume these files were created by "split" and are to be rejoined in alphabetical sequence by "cat". Since they are all the same length, I suspect they were split after compressing rather than before, so that cat should precede rar. I won't be able to try that until the download finishes in a couple of days.

Thanks also for the keyboard tip. I can read German, more or less, but have an American keyboard.

Just out of curiosity - why split the file? To send as e-mail?

eco2geek
03-11-2009, 05:52 AM
I presume these files were created by "split" and are to be rejoined in alphabetical sequence by "cat". Since they are all the same length, I suspect they were split after compressing rather than before, so that cat should precede rar. I won't be able to try that until the download finishes in a couple of days.
No, don't do that - it's a multi-volume archive. It wasn't split after compression, it was split during compression, by the archiving program itself. (RAR allows you to pick the size of each volume.) Feed RAR the name of the first volume, and it will work through them.

I don't actually know if you'd still be able to decompress the archive if you cat'd all the parts together...but it's not meant to work that way.

Maybe the torrent's author also meant to post it to a binary Usenet newsgroup, or maybe they downloaded it from Usenet in the first place. Who knows. Multi-volume archives make sense on Usenet, but they don't when using bittorrent.

1ijack
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
wow i have been living under a rock. i didn't realize theres a knoppix 6 and a 6.0.1. downloading it right now even though ive been reading a lot of negative comments about it.

eco2geek
03-12-2009, 06:45 AM
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1288/gnomewithcompiz.th.png (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gnomewithcompiz.png)
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4949/gnomewithcompiz2.th.png (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gnomewithcompiz2.png)
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1382/gnomewithcompiz3.th.png (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gnomewithcompiz3.png)
GNOME with compiz (In the 2nd one down, a console window's closing)

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6313/lxde.th.png (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lxde.png)
LXDE

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6205/kde42.th.png (http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kde42.png)
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9310/kde422.th.png (http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kde422.png)
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6722/kde423.th.png (http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kde423.png)
KDE 4.2

(Click for larger images.)

carolus
03-13-2009, 02:36 AM
Since CeBit's over, a new version of Knoppix can't be far behind. A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD is already available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.

But it won't boot on my machine. (No problem with 6.01.) Lots of segfaults and I/O error messages. Some of us will just have to wait for the official DVD.

addendum - Unlike 5.3.1, with 6.01 my wireless works "out of the box." Since 5.3.1 there has also been a critical bug fix in ntfs-3g. These things matter to me, but the eye candy is irrelevant, and I'm hoping for the full complement of technical tools found in the 5.3.1 DVD.

juliantchan
03-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Since CeBit's over, a new version of Knoppix can't be far behind. A torrent for the Knoppix 6.1 DVD is already available on a certain (in)famous Swedish web site.

But it won't boot on my machine. (No problem with 6.01.) Lots of segfaults and I/O error messages. Some of us will just have to wait for the official DVD.

I have experienced the same won't-boot problem as Carolus described.

I have spent the last 3-4 days downloading the 31 files Knoppix 6.1 DVD package.
The download was completed 4-5 hours ago and was WINRAR to create "Knoppix 6.1.iso" file of size 3,017,982KB. I then used Nero Express to burnt the iso file into an DVD. I have experiencing DVD burning problems with Nero and/or the DVD media which I believe I have fixed that (Nero error: internal target error). Thereafter, I have tried booting the DVD with or w/o cheatcodes but end up failed at the very beginning of each boot. Below I am giving the detailed information about the failed boots:

1. Boot without any cheat code
a. display is in German
b. right after the line ">>> Bitte den Datentrager..............<<<" , I got a message of "bus error"
c. after awhile, I a plain English message saying: "init : exec: line 589: /sbin/init" Input/Output Error"
d. system just hang

2. Boot with "Knoppix lang=us" cheat code
a. all display is in plain English
b. right after the line ">>> Pls do not remove medium until shutdown!! <<<", I got a message in plain English: "init : exec: line 589: /sbin/init" Input/Output Error"
c. please note that the "Bus error" message was not displayed this time
d. system just hang

I would like to confirm that I have previously booted the same system with both Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD and knoppix 6.0.1 successfully.

eco2qeek and capable hands, please chip in to identifying the problem.

Thanks & Regards,
Julian Chan

maxIT
03-13-2009, 07:07 PM
This version runs flawlessly even on my old "IBM-APTIVA 200MHZ MMX"!!
Something never reached with knoppix 3.4 and even better than 'DamnSmallLinux (knoppix-dsl)'!
As downside I've to notice that it doesn't seems to require the creation (or recognise a previusly created) swap file in a fat partition, in case of a poor ram equipment, as older knoppix versions done.

After some hours of working with it, I realize it's something great but still 'beta'.
The boot_option_prompt at start remains very few seconds, and without being the 'faster of the west' to load keyboard layout at boot, the 'loadkeys' command seems don't work via terminal. The thing most similar to 'kcontrol' look to be 'Configuration Editor' which lack a keyboard layout option.

Although gcc is present in 6.01, neither make nor configure seems to be installed. They cannot be found in synaptic, either.
I hope via apt-get or dpkg

tikitikitimbo
03-17-2009, 01:56 PM
I really wanted to use 6.01, but after a few weeks of trying to get it to work on a PC that doesn't have a USB boot option in the BIOS I came to realize that 6.01 is really only useful to those who do have that option.

I had hoped a workaround would be to make a boot CD with the isolinux.cfg modified to boot off the USB drive with the line fromhd=/dev/sda1 but the 6.01CD apparently ignores the command. I guess those boot options were left out of 6.01 and my conclusion at this point is that this means you basically can't use 6.01 very conveniently without a BIOS that boots USB because there's so much missing if you're dependent upon the system that is included on the CD like smbfs tools.

That being the case, this release is going to frustrate a lot of users who assume this is the same Live-CD based distro they're used to unless there is some kind of advanced warning. If this is going to be the norm going forward then perhaps a bit of a name modification would be helpful like USB-Knoppix. Or the Knoppix Live-USB distro.

If someone has gotten the USB based system to work on a PC without a USB boot option, I'd like to hear what you did.

Anyhow, with the news of 6.1 this will perhaps be irrelevant soon.

cvevans
04-11-2009, 01:41 AM
I really wanted to use 6.01, but after a few weeks of trying to get it to work on a PC that doesn't have a USB boot option in the BIOS I came to realize that 6.01 is really only useful to those who do have that option.

I am running off a thumb drive via a boot CD.
The way to make the boot CD: just delete the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file.
No other changes are needed - it will find the thumb drive.
This WILL work with a FAT32 thumb drive.
It will NOT work with an ext* fs on the thumb drive!
If you use testcd, you will get a file missing error.

I think you can also copy the whole CD (not the .iso) onto your hard drive.
The same boot CD will use the HD copy if no thumb drive is found.
(I copy it to a blank partition, YMMV, back up first, works on K531)

If you are using K3B to make a boot CD you have to set the boot correctly:
Project/Edit Boot Images
New
find the file
boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin
open, use no emulation.
click on the isolinux.bin
Advanced: emulation none, check Boot-info-table, boot load seg 0x0, boot load size 0x4

One WARNING:
If I plug another USB drive on the same USB controller as my KNOPPIX thumb drive,
after booting,
it OFTEN crashes Knoppix!

The light on the Knoppix thumb drive goes out and stays out like it is not plugged in.
(K511 and K531 have also crashed often when running from a thumb drive)
The relative positions of the Knoppix USB drive and the newly plugged drive may be important. (You could try plugging Knoppix in a rear USB port and then only plug into front USB ports if you have them - YMMV.)
- edit-
Workaround:
Plug a USB2 hub with its own power before you boot.
I only plug into the hub after booting and have not had any trouble.

src
04-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Hello

When can we expect the DVD version of the latest release (6.1)- officially? Or should I get the 5.3.1 version for now?

Could some one please clarify and help me out?

oliwek
04-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Maybe the torrent's author also meant to post it to a binary Usenet newsgroup, or maybe they downloaded it from Usenet in the first place. Who knows. Multi-volume archives make sense on Usenet, but they don't when using bittorrent.[/quote]

we're used to see those multifiles rar archives on torrent websites, warez sites, newsgroups, etc

if you get a corrupt file downloading something, it's a blessing (especially for volume limited adsl or cable internet connections as in my european country) not to have to download once more a 2GB file, but just 50MB for example ;-)
or you begin to download on rap.dshare, you get the first 50 parts, but the next is a dead link (then just google or ask someone to get the missing part)

oliwek
04-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Workaround:

... so it's not a knoppix issue, but an hardware one (unpowered usb ports)

on my netbook, I noticed issues booting knoppix adriane 6 (from a flash drive/card with persistent data) with an external (powered) usb hdd already plugged in : it freezes
no problem if you plug the drive afterwards though (when you see lxde desktop)

cvevans
04-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Workaround:

... so it's not a knoppix issue, but an hardware one (unpowered usb ports)

on my netbook, I noticed issues booting knoppix adriane 6 (from a flash drive/card with persistent data) with an external (powered) usb hdd already plugged in : it freezes
no problem if you plug the drive afterwards though (when you see lxde desktop)

That _is_ a puzzle. I have noticed in the past that if the system is writing to a slow-writing flash drive (90%+ are), reads to any HD got 10x slower than usual. Have you tried the boot from a flash drive with no saved image? Just a guess.

In my case the USB ports are all powered. The crash has happened with both motherboard ports and ports on an addon card. The ports have plenty of power to run an external HD, so running a flash drive is not a problem. I have 2 external HD's that run on USB power only that have never crashed on the very ports in question.

My problem is on good USB ports that can run a stress test for a week powering an external HD, but regularly crash a good flash drive on port 1 when a good flash drive is inserted into port 2. I have seen this problem on P2, P4, and Xeon systems; it is not rare.

cvevans
05-03-2009, 11:56 AM
<snip>
The boot_option_prompt at start remains very few seconds, and without being the 'faster of the west' to load keyboard layout at boot, the 'loadkeys' command seems don't work via terminal. The thing most similar to 'kcontrol' look to be 'Configuration Editor' which lack a keyboard layout option.

I use xmodmap to load my keyboard layout.
You can use xkeycaps to make keyboard layout files for xmodmap.

willbrown
05-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Been playing around will this release and had no probs booting from cd.

Used the System Tools\Terminal Server to make a miniroot.gz etc. It does work but I see these error messages first:

insmod can't open '-f' : no such file or directry
insmod can't open '-f' : no such file or directry
insmod can't open '/modules/net/af_packet.*of' : no such file or directry

Works fine from nfs share on my test PC's .... except bcm4401.
Really fast from network, very impressive.

One major niggle for me, is that Terminal Server version only, fails with my PC fitted with Broadcom bcm4401 nic.
Noticed this on V5.3.1 but OK with V5.1.1.
Just get the same info as above plus:

Probing network device(s) handled by znet.ko.sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

..and then it halts.
I should point out that the probing code goes through all the network drivers, can see it scrolling through, it's just that znet is the last! I made a miniroot with ALL the drivers ticked at this stage.
Looked into this as best I could and found that b44.ko depends on mii & ssb, modinfo b44

Opened miniroot manually, b44 is definitely present. Can't find my notes but 0ssb.ko (or similarly named) is present & pretty sure 0mii.ko as well.
From a PC with an Intel nic and thus able to pxe boot, found that a mii directory exist but no mention of ssb.
I guess most of this is generated dynamically depending on hardware found.

Any ideas how to get this card to pxe, works fine from CD.

Regards,

Steve

Capt. Cautious
07-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Good Day Folks,
I have copies of both the 6.0.1 w/ & w/o Adriane. I very near tossed both after trying the 6.0.1 and finding that half the programs simply would not run. Programs I was used to were AWOL and that really surprised me. Neither is a "Swiss Army Knife". They almost look like the developers were trying to emulate winblow$ XP GUI'ish. The rapid rabbit start-up that makes it nearly impossible to do cheat-codes, not nice. I must admit though it booted fairly quickly. I don't know about LADE as a desktop. I still think I prefer KDE 3.0 I haven't finished messing with 4.0 though it isn't fairing well so far...
I did however, have a very good experience at a hotel In The St. Louis area where there for CME. The point is further down the line so if you will just bear with me..
The hotel was a fairly nice place with Wi-Fi in the room, "High Speed Internet" ,and absolutely NO way to plug in Cat 5e for an ethernet card. Ttheir tower was so bad that, while I got the signal, it wasn't strong enough to get me to the login page. After several tries I took my brand new HP v125 flash drive and headed for the hotel's business office. So far, So Good, then the first surprise, when I plugged in my FD to the windows kiosk version it crashed the system. It would not reboot while the FD was in. A couple tries layer I grabbed my Knoppix disk the 6.0.1 (I'd left the 5.3.1 at home) and went to the front desk. I got lucky in that the young man on duty was Knoppix familiar and runs a Debian system. So no problem getting permission to reset the bios boot order. Remember now, this is a wireless set up and I have always had problems getting wireless to work on any version of Knoppix.
I loaded the disk and it booted up quickly and though it took me a minute or two0 to figure out how to use it the connection pop up balloon showed I was connected. No muss, No Fuss! In fifteen minutes I was done and the data I needed on a different FD I knew to be good. I hope this functionality remains if a DVD ever becomes existent.
In Service & In Health,
Captain V. Cautious ,:-)