PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Flashplayer 10 to work

furrycloud
02-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Hello,

I'm a total Knoppix noob. I've been playing around with a 5.1 Live CD since my Vista crashed. I'm starting to get the hang of it through trial and error and much forum research.

I'm trying to get Flashplayer 10 to work with Iceweasel. I used one of the guides on the forum here to do an install from the tar.gz. file I downloaded from Adobe. The installer ran great through the command line from the installer script with no problems. When I go into About:plugins in Iceweasel I only see the java plugin, no flashplayer! I tried the same install for konqueror, no errors, but still no flash.

[edit] I have also tried copying the .so file to the appropriate folders with no results.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

furrycloud
02-13-2009, 06:16 AM
No one can help me? I didn't think this would be that hard of a problem to fix for someone who knew more about Linux.

OErjan
02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
uhm you tried to install it to your home folder and pointing Iceweasel there?

furrycloud
02-13-2009, 04:19 PM
How do I point Iceweasel there? I tried doing that with Konqueror since it let's you choose what folders it scans for plugins, but it never came up in a scan.

When running the ./install-flashplayer (or whatever it's called exactly) It asks me for a valid Iceweasel location. Would it be better to just extract the .Tar file and put the .so file where I need it?

furrycloud
02-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I just ran ./flashplayer-installer again as root. I directed it to the /usr/lib/iceweasel folder. No errors during install, and the libflashplayer.so file is in the plugins folder, but Iceweasel still doesn't show it installed when I open about:plugins. Does Iceweasel automatically look somewhere else for the plugin files?

iki
04-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi, in Knoppix 6.0 it's fairly simple, maybe it works the same with your version. Just follow the #7 post in this link: http://www.techsupportforum.com/alternative-computing/linux-support/305734-how-install-flash-player-plugin-knoppix.html
There's no need to direct to any folder or anything, it just installs. Just make sure you don't have Iceweasel running otherwise you'll have to shut it down and restart to enable flash-player.

EDIT: we linux noobs frequently overlook the obvious. The proper method is to open System Tools>Synaptic Package Manager; press 'Reload' to load the available Debian packages; then 'Search' and type 'flashplugin'; then mark the package for installation and its done! If Iceweasel is running, close it and restart to enable the plugin.

Or even
# apt-get update
# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

gpavanb
06-24-2009, 01:07 PM
All you n00bs listen up!!:twisted: :twisted:

The Iceweasel in KNOPPIX 5.1 Live(this is what I am using) DOES NOT support FLASH PLAYER 10 even though the system requirements page of Adobe Flash Player 10 says Firefox 2.x and above. You need to get yourself FLASH PLAYER 9. Here's the link

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406791.html