PDA

View Full Version : [Newb Warning] Persistence with Knoppix 6.0.1

rahoorkhuit
02-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Ok, I'm wanting to use Knoppix 6.0.1 as a Live CD, but with persistence. I've read about using persistence with Knoppix, and it seems that there should be an option (at least in older versions) under the settings menu to create a disc image. Well... this option seems missing. Is there another way to do this? Sorry, I'm justing beginning to use Knoppix and Linux, so if there is some obvious solution that I looked over I apologize.

Edit - I'm not wanting make a Live USB install, I want to run from the CD drive and be able to save the persistence file to my HDD...

ndb
02-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I downloaded knoppix 6.0.1 a few days ago, and have tried to save a persistent image myself. In the past you could either use the menu, or a shell script on the command-line.

knoppix-mkimage makes a persistent image; saveconfig save your configuration. In 5.0.1, you could run either from the menu or command line. I found knoppix-mkimage saved more relevant settings.

Unfortunately, 6.0.1 does not seem to have either. I tried the command-line, as well as the menu.

Has anyone been successful in saving a persistent image or settings?

whethers
03-25-2009, 08:08 PM
I have the same question, anyone out there know how or if it's possible to use persistence with the live 6.0.1 CD?

ChaUuus
03-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Hello all,

Sadly the new version does not have the same utility as the older version, but you should have the option to create allocated space at the begging of the boot sequence.

I belive you get something like " would you like to allocated space (min is 200mb and max is you flash drive max) as long as you type the amount ex: 1000 and then press tab and make sure you are on the ok button you will get a black screen with germen letter at the top left corner.

the formatin will take long depending on the size you choose. afther the format you will go threw the reboot process and you will be able to save your files and settings..

ChaUuus

dwolffor
05-10-2009, 02:15 PM
I entered 250 and it did not save my settings upon reboot.

ndb
05-11-2009, 02:54 AM
For what it's worth, I just booted 6.0.1 CD, with a USB thumb drive already mounted, and did not get a prompt to specify allocated space for persistence. Is there a boot code I have to enter first? No one has mentioned this explicitly.

rev_dav
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
For what it's worth, I just booted 6.0.1 CD, with a USB thumb drive already mounted, and did not get a prompt to specify allocated space for persistence. Is there a boot code I have to enter first? No one has mentioned this explicitly.

Hi there.
You need to run 6.0.1 from the CD, then use the option to Save to Flashdrive.
Remove the CD and run from the thumb drive. As the system starts it will ask you if you want a Persistent Image. IMHO, ordinary users will find 200 MB to be enough but geeks will require more than 500 MB!
Best wishes,
David