PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX 6.0.1 and Promise TX4310 PCI RAID

frederickh
02-17-2009, 12:00 AM
I just made a boot disk for Knoppix 6.0.1. It works great! I have been relunctant to try it, however, on my system with a Promise TX4310 RAID 5 array. I am not having problems, but I wish to have an option to use Knoppix if any problems do arise. I searched in your forums and found people who had problems using it on such a system. They were using it on earlier versions, though. Will this version recognize my setup?

If not, Promise has drivers for Suse, RHEL, RedHat, and even source code that can be recompiled to use with any Linux OS version Kernel 2.6.

What is my best option?

Fred

hal8000
02-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Try it. The knoppix system does not write anything to your hard drive, so insert the CD and boot from it. Knoppix 6 uses a microkernel so, not sure what changes Klaus has made without looking at the change log.

frederickh
02-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I looked around and found the changelog. i founf a reference to the company that made my raid card, although it was back in 2003, but that encouraged me to try it.

Neither the dvd or the cd worked, however.

The dvd completed enabling dma for the dvd drive. It called it hda. Then it was looking for the file system at /dev/hda, but it never could find it. The dvd light never came on.

The cd seemed to boot fine, but it didn't recognize my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The keyboard worked with the dvd, but I never had a chance to check the mouse.

I searched the forum and tried a couple of things with no success.

Any ideas?

Fred