PDA

View Full Version : K-menu 'KNOPPIX'

jex
06-04-2003, 04:25 PM
After installing KNOPPIX Rev3.2 2003 05-16 to the hard drive the K-
MENU "KNOPPIX->Network/Internet->Config Network is not available any more.
What can I do to configure nework and printer?

Thank you, Stephen! Do you know if the next Rev. 3.2........20 has solved this issue?

Stephen
06-04-2003, 05:57 PM
After installing KNOPPIX Rev3.2 2003 05-16 to the hard drive the K-
MENU "KNOPPIX->Network/Internet->Config Network is not available any more.
What can I do to configure nework and printer?

Open a root console and netcardconfig for the net card the files if you want to do it manually /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf printer config is in the control center -> pheripherals -> printers.

zzyzx
06-04-2003, 10:27 PM
there is also the commandline utility 'netcardconfig' , the printer and cups and be configured in the command center.

rickenbacherus
06-04-2003, 11:39 PM
there is also the commandline utility 'netcardconfig' ,

That is exactly what Stephen was referring to. The menu is nothing more than a link to netcardconfig as are all menu items. This is true of wimpdoze as well. Desktop icons- same thing.

rickenbacherus
06-04-2003, 11:42 PM
Thank you, Stephen! Do you know if the next Rev. 3.2........20 has solved this issue?

Dude- it's not considered an issue - it's a feature. Fret not- you'll unlearn those nasty windows habits in no time!

But- haven't you ever added something to the menu in windows before?!?!? It's no different here.

jex
06-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Thank you, rickenbacherus (May I call you Rick??)
You are wright, I better change my habits and learn the Linux from scratch! Which is actually not so easy for my 65-year old brain, but I think ist more fun too. I plan to install the "Debian distribution", and I thought it's kind of an easyer way to learn about it.
What I learned about Windows seems to be not enough, because I always used those graphic interfasces - I know how the files and directories are called and how to access them, but from linux I don't know.
Jex

rickenbacherus
06-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Thank you, rickenbacherus (May I call you Rick??)
You are wright, I better change my habits and learn the Linux from scratch!

Yes - learning Linux is a much better endeavor than leaning a desktop environment. Eventually you won't have a nice GUI desktop- just you and the CLI. Look here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2398). Don't get me wrong, I certainly use a desktop but usually only for casual things. If I want to get something done give me the CLI!

Which is actually not so easy for my 65-year old brain, but I think ist more fun too. I plan to install the "Debian distribution", and I thought it's kind of an easyer way to learn about it.

That's what we want to see! If you learn Linux then it will be very easy to use virtually any distro.

What I learned about Windows seems to be not enough, because I always used those graphic interfasces - I know how the files and directories are called and how to access them, but from linux I don't know.
Jex

Unfortunately M$ hasn't put much stock into huuman intelligence and they have "dumbed it down" so that anyone can use a pc. Of course that is a huge reason why so many people use them today but it's also a hinderance in that so many people have no idea what's really going on.

Start launching apps from a terminal and you'll find yourself watching the term just to see what that app is really doing behind the scenes. The first time someone mentioned that "the 'netcardconfig' is gone from the menu" my response was- "It was in the menu?" (yes-old habits die hard for Linux users too) :P