PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Files

iadcc
02-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Just downloaded a copy of Knoppix. CD version, but also have the DVD maxi edition. I want to read the documentation but the reason I got the tool was to see if I can browse files on the HDD on the machine the CD is inserted on and potentially, if possible, export files. Basically, we want to use Knoppix for investigations, and I read on a different forum that Knoppix has file browsers and can remove data from drives overcoming the NTFS permissions on a drive (200G/B HDD with Windows XP and numerous local profiles on it). So which tool(s) on Knoppix have the file browser, and can they export files out to attached external HDD? Any pointers much appreciated.

ndb
02-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Copying files from an NTFS partition is ok, however there's too great a chance of corrupting your NTFS by writing to it. When you say 'removing', do you mean deleting them from your Windows HD?

Also, what version of Knoppix do you have? 6.0.1 just came out a few days ago - I downloaded and burned the CD version myself.

OErjan
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
uhm. yes all files can be read, you just click on the drive icon on the desktop and a window will be opened.

most any FAT formatted USB pendrive or any other FAT formatted drive can be written to.
incert the drive after boot, when the icon pops up on the desktop you rightclick icon and choose mount, then rightclick again and choose read/write mode.

In my opinion you should not try to write to NTFS, it may work flawlessly but it can also destroy the data well beyond recovery if the filesystem is not 100% clean, which i sadly have found unlikely after a few hours under Windows version normally running NTFS, mainly; Vista, XP, win2000, WinNT.

iadcc
02-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Copying files from an NTFS partition is ok, however there's too great a chance of corrupting your NTFS by writing to it. When you say 'removing', do you mean deleting them from your Windows HD?

Also, what version of Knoppix do you have? 6.0.1 just came out a few days ago - I downloaded and burned the CD version myself.

Hi, I had the latest version that you mention. By removing, I essentially mean:

I inserted the CD into the CD of the desktop where the HDD is stored. I also attached an External HDD (formatted FAT32), into this desktop. All I want to do is create a copy of the HDD onto my attached External HDD. Sounds simple, but I am new to Knoppix.

iadcc
02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Actually, in one machine couldnt even get in, got the error message:

"Could not mount disk to /mnt-system. Starting debugging Shell...............
can;t access tty: job control turned off"

??

On other machines it worked a dream. Any way I can get around the above?

donaldduck70
02-22-2009, 12:59 AM
I'm getting the same message:

"Could not mount disk to /mnt-system. Starting debugging Shell...............
can;t access tty: job control turned off"

trying to boot from a USB stick. The box I'm trying to boot the stick has two SATA disks which would show up as sda and sdb. Not sure if this has an impact. The stick I produced by downloading a 6.0 ISO, burning it to a CD first, then copying (using cp -r) all files from the CD onto the stick and enabling the stick with grub, using the instructions at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ.

It would be great if someone could help.

donaldduck70
02-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Oh, and should I have mentioned that according to that description I've formatted the stick using ext2?

donaldduck70
02-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I re-formatted the stick with mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1 now and repeated the procedure for putting Knoppix on it. With this it works. I can't even guess what goes wrong with ext2 because obviously Knoppix *can* read some stoff from the stick (more than just GRUB reading the kernel), so ext2 support generally seems to be there... Anyhow, for me this is solved now; I don't necessarily need ext2 on the stick, although it would have been funny. But this way I can even still use it on a Win box to put additional stuff on it.

OErjan
02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
uhm, hope to god you made a slow speed CD burn, 4x is my maximum, any higher and things like this start hapening, as for ransfering, just open the windows and drag/drop, just as usual.

ringram
04-29-2009, 03:08 PM
I'd just like to second this solution. I was trying this as well: using grub on a usb stick to boot to KNOPPIX on a partition, except in my case with an ext3 partition. I also got the message "Could not mount disk to /mnt-system. Starting debugging Shell...............

Changing the partition on the USB stick to FAT32 fixed the problem.

Now I can boot to the USB stick and use both the local hard drive and CD drive. This is using KNOPPIX 6.0.1

Rich

iki
04-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Just to point out that it's clearly stated to format the flashdrive in FAT in the knoppix ADRIANE (6.0) page. Also, Knoppix has a built-in tool to install to flashdrive: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/installing-knoppix-60-to-a-usb-flash-drive/

ringram
04-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Sure enough. I should have paid more attention. Thanks. :)

Rich