PDA

View Full Version : no sshd on 6.0.1 ?

sagyv
02-19-2009, 08:34 PM
I've just download image of 6.0.1
Tried to ssh into the machine that runs it, no luck.
looked for /etc/init.d/sshd - not there.
did apt-cache search ssh, could not find openssh-server
could it be this version comes with no ssh server?

Thanks.

jsalles
04-24-2009, 02:47 AM
I did a find to look for sshd, which turned up nothing. In 4.0.2 there are two scripts that start sshd that get called from the menu. These are missing too.

Along with sshd, it seems a lot of the useful stuff that was on 4.0.2 (and probably 5.x) was removed to make room for Open Office. Vim is there, but it was compiled without the gvim option. The only thing that is better for me is that if the network is disconnected for some time, the connection will work if reconnected. In 4.0.2 and 5.x, if the network was disconnected for more than a few minutes, it would not work if reconnected until the network setup menu item was clicked.

Open Office is a nice package, but I wish it had been left out along with Adrianne and all the other goodies left in.

Capricorny
06-28-2009, 10:28 PM
6.0.1 is most useful when run from a pendrive. There you can set up a persistent file system of up to 4 GB, and install openssh-server on that system from normal Debian repositories. Beware that the default Debian setting is not to allow opening of displays on other machines.