PDA

View Full Version : Where is Knoppix Menu on Knoppix 6.0.1?

tourinho
02-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Well, I just downloaded Knoppix 6.0.1 to use in my company's laptop. I need to use some tools that I can't intall in Windows because of some policy.
But that's not the issue.
The thing is that I wanted to make a persistent Knoppix image so I don't need to configure Knoppix all the time.
I'm booting Knoopix from a flash drive so thigs can be saved easily.
I know by other versions of Knoppix that this option is on the menu with a figure of Tux right next to the K icon, but in this version the K icon has become a bird icon (i think) and the Knoppix Menu with the Tux icon has gone.
I wonder how I can create this persistent image on Knoppix 6.0.1.
Also, when I was booting Knoppix, I was asked if I wanted to use some of my flash drive space to save configuraron files (or something like that), but that this just doesn't work. Even alocating 700MB (the minimum is 200MB), every time I boot Knoppix again it's like the first time. No configurarion stored at all.
Any tips?

Thanks a lot!

ndb
02-20-2009, 06:12 PM
The K menu is for KDE, the desktop environment. Knoppix 6.0.* has replaced KDE with LXDE. Unfortunately, and remember, this is a beta release, the saveconfig and knoppix-mkimage shell scripts appear to be missing. Previously, they were in /usr/sbin, if you used the command line.

I'm hoping that this will be corrected in a stable release, but have no idea of when that will be.

knoppix510
06-02-2009, 08:41 AM
The K menu is for KDE, the desktop environment. Knoppix 6.0.* has replaced KDE with LXDE. Unfortunately, and remember, this is a beta release, the saveconfig and knoppix-mkimage shell scripts appear to be missing. Previously, they were in /usr/sbin, if you used the command line.

I'm hoping that this will be corrected in a stable release, but have no idea of when that will be.

How can I download the Knoppix 6.0.1 source code ? I cannot find it on the Knoppix FTP server,
which is very funny as Knoppix creators promised to uphold the GPL, which is the core of the
GNU Phisolophy.

Who do I contact to get the source code ? I want to correct some bugs, for example date and time
settings on the bottom right corner. For this I need the source code.

rusty
06-03-2009, 12:08 AM
How can I download the Knoppix 6.0.1 source code ? I cannot find it on the Knoppix FTP server,
which is very funny as Knoppix creators promised to uphold the GPL, which is the core of the
GNU Phisolophy.

Who do I contact to get the source code ? I want to correct some bugs, for example date and time
settings on the bottom right corner. For this I need the source code.

This might be what you're looking for:

http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/[/quote]