PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-DE....Installation Failure

PaulM2008
02-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Good Afternoon,

Having become annoyed with the Microsoft Buisness Plan :!: [i.e. Producing a continual stream of Windows operating system, in which the end-user has to keep purchasing, if on-going support is required]. I thought I would give Linux a try. Easy I thought, Look around, find a good distribution, download iso, burn to DVD and install - Easy, well not quite.

Having burned the DVD, I selected install to Hard drive [graphical & text mode]. After about 10 minutes into the installation process the computer just hangs - Blinking cursor and that the lot. When I undertook the installation process in text mode, a line just prior the point on freeze is highlighted in red. Unfortunatly it is not very informative.

* Failed to load necessary Drivers

That all, I do not know what drivers it is attempting to load. I, thinking it was a DVD burn issue

1. Burnt original download iso to DVD a second time - Still failed at the same point
2. Downloaded a new copy of the DVD iso and transferred it to DVD for the 3rd time - Again the installation failed at the same point

I appear to be missing some fundemental understanding of the installation process. Would anyone care to enlighted me ?

Thank you

Kind Regards

:? Paul :?

65droptop
03-01-2009, 04:27 AM
My first step is to run the "check sum" program to see if I downloaded the iso file correctly (before burning to CD or DVD). I verified a good download by running

md5sum -c KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-EN.iso.md5

in a terminal on the computer to which I downloaded both the iso (main Knoppix file) and its check sum file (with the ".md5" appended). Verified my downloaded iso file was "OK" as the terminal output assured. Doing this a second time, but to the iso burned to cd or dvd, should tell you if the transfer from computer hard drive to CD/DVD is "OK" as well -- thus saving you time and money burning CDs/DVDs on the possibility they are not OK.

I am learning linux as well, and sometimes the geekspeak is a barrier. You may already know all of this -- in which case this post is to help others along as I have been helped.

65droptop
03-01-2009, 04:34 AM
I also note that your iso file is the "DE" or German version. Being in the UK, perhaps the "EN" version may help you more.