PDA

View Full Version : How to install Knoppix ADRIANE to hard drive?

asdfsdafdsa
02-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi all!

The only thing I really want to know is how to install Knoppix ADRIANE to a hard disk. I tried "knoppix-install" but it doesn't exist on ADRIANE.

I'd like to install this version of Knoppix, because it detected almost all the hardware (didn't detect the soundchip though), so I don't want to putz around with other distros, I want this one and be done with it already.

asdfsdafdsa
02-27-2009, 01:38 AM
OK, I found out that the Knoppix live CD that has the same version as the ADRIANE (Microknoppix?), will identify my hardware just as well - and there the installation command is present. So that's wonderful.

But check this problem: when I boot from ADRIANE. I can see both the files on my NTFS drive as well as those on a Maxtor 250GB USB drive. But I cannot create files or directories on the USB drive. When I boot with the Knoppix CD, I can create folders and files on the USB drive, but can't mount the NTFS hard drive - I get an "unknown error". I am trying to copy the contents from the NTFS drive to the USB drive - what should I do? I can't boot from both CDs at the same time.

asdfsdafdsa
02-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Having some problems running gparted - I'm trying to use the graphical installer, and while it offers to run gparted, it doesn't do it.

place_username_here
03-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Having some problems running gparted - I'm trying to use the graphical installer, and while it offers to run gparted, it doesn't do it.

I ran across that too and found out that gparted is not installed. It works once you install it but I'm still having trouble with picking a particular partition. It wants the whole hard drive. I did install to a flash drive successfully but I can't get it to save settings.

asdfsdafdsa
03-21-2009, 01:12 PM

I ran across that too and found out that gparted is not installed. It works once you install it but I'm still having trouble with picking a particular partition. It wants the whole hard drive. I did install to a flash drive successfully but I can't get it to save settings.

Well, that's an advancement anyway. Thank you!

Talking about not being able to save settings: how do I get it to remember my screen resolution? I set the resolution to something acceptable, but every time I startx, the resolution is way too high. It's getting to me.

place_username_here
03-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't know. I'm going to give it another try. I have it installed on a 8G flash drive and it works beautiful but it won't save settings or changes even after telling it to make a save file. I have a mepis kde4 install that I tried to update past lenny (It works but it has a few website issues) and my kid seems to have adopted knoppix over it. It's a great system and I really like lxde - I just need to figure out these issues.

place_username_here
03-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Ok, from looking at the help file on the install knoppix to hard drive choice I made unallocated space on my hard drive and it made a reiser partition on hda4 from choosing automatic partitioning. It seems to work but it did make me a little nervous choosing automatic partitioning. I started gparted and looked at what it did before committing. I still haven't figured out the flash drive yet. I'll update,

place_username_here
03-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Ok, the hard drive install works great. Still working on the flash drive