PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 6.0.1 CD and "Video Mode" problem

AzJazz
03-01-2009, 08:03 PM
My PC boots up with an unrecognized video mode of 317, and any other video mode I select seems to be unusable for my LCD monitor ("Out of Range" or "Invalid Mode" on monitor).

How do I get Knoppix to boot with a usable mode on my LCD panel?

Thanks,

AzJazz

40below
03-09-2009, 10:01 PM
This one takes awhile because you have to try a bunch of different ranges.

First, get the specs of your monitor and find the horizontal and vertical refresh ranges. Then, start at the low end and use the refresh cheat codes until you find the right range.

Cheat Code:

knoppix xvrefresh=60 (or vsync=60) Use 60 Hz vertical refresh rate for X
knoppix xhrefresh=80 (or hsync=80) Use 80 kHz horizontal refresh rate for X

So, if your vert range is 43.5-60, I would start off with xvrefresh=44. (do the same with xhrefresh) and keep trying different combinations until you get the right range......then, you have to log in every time with that code.[/list]

sXeKJB
04-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I get this same err msg whenever I boot up, however I hit the spacebar to continue, and it proceeds to boot and loads LXDE with no problems. I ignore this msg whenever I startup.

deesy58
04-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I tried all of the suggested cheat codes, and none of them worked. Every time I boot Knoppix from my thumb drive, my NEC1860NX LCD monitor displays an error message that it is receiving an unrecognized mode. The error message is being displayed by the monitor, not by the OS. I have not been able to find a workaround for this problem. Bottom line: I can no longer use Knoppix on my primary machine (Pentium D w/2 Gigs RAM and SCSI drives).

Deesy