/var
/home
swaap

gretchen
06-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Yes, it can be done.

Set your partions up, install Knoppix to your hard drive,
Reboot
edit fstab so those directories point to the partitions, copy the files from the current directories to the partitions.
Reboot

your system should work
(I've only done this with home so I'm not sure about the other ones.)

Knoppix asks in the install if you want to use a swap partion so that should be the easiest to set up.

aay
06-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Gretchen is right. It can be done. Stephen wrote a little howto for doing this with /home. It can be fount here (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HomePartitionHowTo) in the docs. You should be able do the same thing by repeating this method for other directories. If you have some unpartitioned space, or another drive you should be able to do this w/o a reinstall (assuming you already have Knoppix installed). QTParted (which is on Knoppix) can safely resize like Partition Magic, but I think it has trouble with ext3.

st
06-16-2003, 06:43 AM
[quote="gretchen"]Yes, it can be done.

Set your partions up, install Knoppix to your hard drive,
Reboot
edit fstab so those directories point to the partitions, copy the files from the current directories to the partitions.
Reboot

[snipped]

Is there any hack of the "knx-hdinstall" script so that the files can be copied to the different partitions directly?

rickenbacherus
06-16-2003, 01:07 PM
There is supposedly a new install script on the DVD release (which I have yet to see) although I am unaware of whether or not this feature is implemented. Morphix has added this feature to it's install script but I haven't tried it out yet. It really doesn't take long to do it as described above- it gets the job done.

joekm
06-25-2003, 06:50 PM
Yea, I thought about trying that trick myself. I wanted to make a /boot formated as ext2 and the rest of it a ReiserFS. Ultimately, I decided to just make the whole thing ReiserFS (except for the swap of course).

Now that I see it's actually being suggested here, maybe I'll re-think that.