PDA

View Full Version : saving .txt, .obt. etc documents

derwalroszsagt
03-07-2009, 01:50 AM
I am using knoppix 6.0 and am trying to save documents to a hard drive in my computer. The hard drives are linux formatted and are mounted when the desktop comes up so I can open them and read files in them. Whenever I try to save a document it will not write to the hard drive directory I designate but gives an error that access to the directory is not permitted. I have checked the permissions that show root has full permission to read-write. Does anyone know how to correct this problem. Your help is appreciated in advance.[/list]

Harry Kuhman
03-07-2009, 07:51 AM
.....I have checked the permissions that show root has full permission to read-write. Does anyone know how to correct this problem. ....
I believe this is not a permission issue but rather a mounting issue. Knoppix by default will open files "read only". There used to be a menu item to mount a partition as r/w, but that may have vanished or be in hiding with the version 6.x releases. You should be able to mount the partition as r/w with the mount command fron a shell though. See man mount for details.

derwalroszsagt
03-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think I tried to mount it but got the error message that it was already mounted. Will try it again.

derwalroszsagt
03-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think I tried to mount it but got the error message that it was already mounted. Will try it again.

Harry Kuhman
03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Yea, it's already mounted, but it is mounted read only. Once again, I suggest that you read man mount, it explains how to remount as read-write.

derwalroszsagt
03-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I tried it without effect. Get the error that only root could do the mount. Kind of expected that as the disk is write only. Tried a sudo mount also and got the same error. In the same vein i had another problem copying a text document to the floppy by using the desktop. In fact the desktop would not read a floppy. I went to /media/floppy and was able to ls the floppy and open documents that way. Was also able to cp to the floppy from the desktop using the terminal program. I think the problem is that on the desktop the floppy is called "floppy drive" and in media it is called "floppy" and the program can't find the floppy on the desktop. Don't know how to fix it as I can't change anything on the disk. It all worked ok on Ver 5.3.x and KDE but Ver 6.0.x seems to be screwed up.

derwalroszsagt
03-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Continued fooling around with it. Finally did a mkdir h** in /media and was able to mount -arw hdc on h**. This still did not let me save a leafpad file to h**/** (error can not open file). Saved to Desktop and then used the xterm to cp from Desktop to the hdc/** file I wanted. PITA but it worked. I think that Knoppix 6.0.x needs some work.