PDA

View Full Version : Hard ware detection question

msvistasucks
03-17-2009, 04:37 AM
hey guys,

Every time u run knoppix does it run hardware detection...or not???

Thank You,
msvistasucks

OErjan
03-17-2009, 11:41 AM
it certainly does, why doyou ask?

msvistasucks
03-17-2009, 05:35 PM
while i thought it would save the info bout the hardware
while how long would it normally take on lets say a acer 5570z (my cruddy laptop that acer built horrible :evil:)
cause i wanted to run knoppix on my laptop because vista has some stability issues :evil:

OErjan
03-18-2009, 11:59 AM
as knoppix is made to run from CD or DVD it would be hard to save anything, if you use a HDD install of Debian or kubuntu instead some of the configuration is saved and you can tweak things to boot into desktop in under 40seconds.

if you really know what you are doing with both hardware and software (including messing with C source-code and Linux kernels) I know that five seconds (yes 5 seconds) to fully boot with desktop up and running is possible with Linux.
but as I said this requires quite intimate knowledge, well beyond 95% of users.
if you want a demonstration search for "5 second Linux boot" on youtube.

msvistasucks
03-18-2009, 04:42 PM
thanks for the info

i dont know allot about linux so ....i dont want to partition my hdd until i know enough to do that because i dont want to kill my laptop
and with knoppix i just wanted to try linux to see if i liked it......
and ya if i like it i may go down to the local pc shop and have them walk me through installing ubuntu and dual booting.....
also do know if there is a really good virtual pc program that will run on windows vista???
and also could i buy a 150 gb usb hdd and run ubuntu off of that and i just would have to change my bias boot system to boot from that?????

OErjan
03-20-2009, 11:47 AM
virtualbox should work OK.
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox

if your computer can boot from a external USB drive it will likely (but not 100% certain) boot from an external disk, I do that with my ASUS EEEPC, it allows me to keep everything original on the computer and still use Debian (and I get LOADS more space).