PDA

View Full Version : The Official AC97/Via Onboard Sound Problem Thread Thingie

The CafFIEND
06-04-2003, 11:38 PM
K, I am going to try to help everyone who is having probs get there sound setup as best as possible but first some info on my system/sound
PC: athlonxp 1700+, 512mb ddr ram, biostar m7vib (via266 chipset) mobo latest firmware, offboard network card (8139 realtek) nvidia geforce2mx400 with 32mb ram, altec lansing 4 point speakers (i forget what model) with sub (so 5 speakers, theyre black). music preference/what im listening too: Jungle/Drum 'n Bass/Reggae. reason using knoppix: to install gentoo (though gentoo doesnt seem to like me installing it, but thats another issue). knoppix 3.2 in kde. hyundai 17inch v770 deluxscan monitor. using xmms for playing mp3s on an NTFS mounted drive.

Ok, before I proceed, I have to say my sound still doesnt sound QUITE as good as it did in windows (not holding anything against linux/knoppix/alsa) but its now DAMN close (most people probably couldnt tell difference).

Q: My Soundcard doesnt work?!??!111 HELP ME CAFFIENTMAN?!11
When booting knoppix use the asla cheat (so boot: knoppix alsa), so it will autoconf alsa for you.

GREAT, sound works, if you just need system sounds, you can probly leave it here, but if you want to play some music, you realize that it sounds pretty crappy (for various reasons).

First, disable ACPI in your BIOS and use noacpi cheat (im not sure if the cheat does anything but i type it anyway). Second, go into Konsole and type alsamixer, get PCM to under 75 (but as close to it as u can without being over) and dont mess with the volume in XMMS since that will change PCM and it seems to degrade sound after 75. Third, go into Control Center (should be on the kde start bar thing with the card and the gear picture) and go to Sound System in Sound and Multimedia, check start aRTs and leave the autosuspend and display message stuff alone. go to Sound I/O tab, enable full duplex operation, use custom sample rate (48000) ((VERY IMPORTANT TO SET THAT). Sound I/O method should be ALSA (advanced linux sound architecture). sound quality i set to 16bit. i leave the buffer size alone though change it if u need too. hit apply and close!, your sound now sounds way better since its not being downsampled to 22kHz (from 44kHz most likely, 48 if its a dvd/SACD).

XMMS stuff:
first, remember to leave the xmms volume at under 75 since that is PCM. enable the equalizer and get it tuned to how u like, notice the preamp, turn it down if u are still experiencing distortion (though you will have to turn speakers way up to compensate).

doing all that i have managed to get sound like 95% as good as it sounded in windows.

If anyone here is a pro at setting up gentoo and would like to use a remote desktop session to do it for me i wouldnt be adversed ;-)

paradocs
06-05-2003, 05:05 AM
Dear caf
WOW! THANKS THANKS THANKS

I have a via EPIA M9000 ITX VT1616 6channel
AC'97 on board sound.

When I got KNOPPIX I did without sound of a month.
Then I got the update and alsa. I was so happy to
hear anything it took a few hours to be aware of
the terrible static. Now this is wonderful. I was
ready to buy an sound card and was just asking
what to buy on this forum.

Since I have no hard drive I need to know what
files are effected by your steps. Then I can write
a script to to the same thing by copying in a file
or two wiht the correct settings. Any help would
be appreciated.

What is ACIP --will my computer start smoking with it off?

Will these setting allow me to set up 6 channel sound?

Best Wishes
again thanks!
paradocs

paradocs
06-05-2003, 08:55 AM
Hello cafFIEND

Because your post will certainly be of interest to others,
I have posted your steps on Knopper.net in German.

I made a link to your post and given you credit.
Hopfully the steps are clear and correct.

Knopper.net
Hardware
ALSA Sound Probleme Lösung VIA AC97 Onboard

http://www.linuxtag.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=hardware;action=display;num=10547921 97

viele Grüße
paradocs

The CafFIEND
06-05-2003, 05:39 PM
What is ACIP --will my computer start smoking with it off?

Will these setting allow me to set up 6 channel sound?

AC*P*I (advanced c(something) power interface? i dont remember exactly what it stands for ) not ACIP, is power managment, and doesnt really affect knoppix out of the box, just do a proper shut down and everything is fine, you dont HAVE to disable it, some people wouldnt notice any sound change, but for many, it messess with interupts or something and distorts sound on ac97 (me for example). I wish I could tell you about setting up 6 channel sound, however although im using a 5 point system, im just doing Stereo x2 (same front and back) because my ac97 has only one out (front). What files are affected? Not quite sure, i dont save any of my settings to hdd and they all get reset when i restart the pc so i never quite paid attention. alsamixer? that may save to a file? kde control center probably saves to something? wish i could be of more help :/

thanks for translating it to german, i read some stuff here about people saying 'buy a new soundcard, that static cant at all be helped, ac97 is 7 years old' well until my new soundcard gets here i at least want this to sound as good as possible, and after like 5 hours of searching i came up with all that stuff.

Zagreus
06-16-2003, 01:29 AM
Some very interesting notes. One question though, how do we fix this issue if we already have installed it to the hard drive via knxinstall? My machine is using CMI 9739 onboard sound which has 6 channel capabilities. However, they are recognizing it as the generic AC'97 codec. Right now my sound events are off pitch and when I try to use ALSA it doesn't work at all, most likely cause I didn't use the ALSA cheat. Suggestions are welcome.

Stephen
06-16-2003, 02:42 AM
Some very interesting notes. One question though, how do we fix this issue if we already have installed it to the hard drive via knxinstall? My machine is using CMI 9739 onboard sound which has 6 channel capabilities. However, they are recognizing it as the generic AC'97 codec. Right now my sound events are off pitch and when I try to use ALSA it doesn't work at all, most likely cause I didn't use the ALSA cheat. Suggestions are welcome.
There is a tool left over from knoppix IIRC it is alsa-autoconfig which does as it says configures alsa automatically and can be used after install.

Zagreus
06-16-2003, 04:26 AM
IIRC? I'd hate to look like a newb but I don't know if that means Insane Internet Relay Crap or what? Could you plz be more specific?

Zagreus
06-19-2003, 04:13 AM
I tried using the autoconfig and it didn't work so I broke down and reinstalled it using the alsa cheat. After the hard install though sound didn't work until I used the autoconfig command. Thanks for the starting the forum, which did help out a bit.

Stephen
06-19-2003, 04:23 AM
IIRC? I'd hate to look like a newb but I don't know if that means Insane Internet Relay Crap or what? Could you plz be more specific?

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly, good to hear you got it working.

Dave_Bechtel
06-28-2003, 08:23 PM
--This should help you out in the future;
http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Zagreus
06-28-2003, 11:19 PM
Thanks. It's a rather funny irony that I have working knowledge of half a dozen programming languages and have been online for 8 years now yet I don't know most of the web acronyms.

Stephen
06-28-2003, 11:25 PM
Just tried this the other day after having upgraded to a new motherboard and processor and it works well I must say. A couple things I would add you do not need arts (I'm using KDE3.2 and xmmsarts is broken) it will work fine without it you just have to kill off the artsd daemon in a console for XMMS to work. Second the changes will work for the other Sound Systems at least OSS which I am using for XMMS.

Criamon
07-08-2003, 10:39 PM
Hi,

I did the things that were suggested, and they worked out quite well (the acpi wasn't that successful).

But now I have a simple problem. I did all the changes as root. But when I change to another user, the problem is there again. What do I have to do to make the changes of the soundsettings public?
(ok... I admit that I am a linux newbie, but hey, that's why I post this to the knoppix forum :-))

Thanks
Heiko
www.krimispiel.net

JockVSJock
07-15-2003, 03:43 AM
My Averatec laptop sound is not working.

When probing with SNDCONFIG (which is funny because I believe this is the tool to probe yr soundcard under Linux), it comes up with VIA Technologies IVT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller].

When modprobing that module, I get a ton of errors.

No such device

insmod

failed

insmod sound-slot-0 failed

What is ALSA? It is on my knoppix machine, but I can't get it to run and there are no man pages for it.

Any input would be awesome here.

thanks

Stephen
07-15-2003, 04:21 AM

When probing with SNDCONFIG (which is funny because I believe this is the tool to probe yr soundcard under Linux), it comes up with VIA Technologies IVT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller].

No such device

insmod

failed

What is ALSA? It is on my knoppix machine, but I can't get it to run and there are no man pages for it.

thanks

Try /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig as root in a console to create the devices for alsa and now that I look I answed this in a post above. :?

JockVSJock
07-21-2003, 03:17 AM

No such device

insmod

failed

thanks

Try /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig as root in a console to create the devices for alsa and now that I look I answed this in a post above. :?

Is there anyway to get these modules to stay loaded once I load them up under /etc/init.d?

I can't find where they are at when I check lsmod.

thanks

Stephen
07-21-2003, 03:46 AM
Is there anyway to get these modules to stay loaded once I load them up under /etc/init.d?

I can't find where they are at when I check lsmod.

thanks

They are devices that are created once for the sound card they should be available every time you boot (at least that's how it works for me) after you run the auto-config however the configuration of ALSA defaults to mute so you will not hear any sound unless you set the mixer levels on re-boot. Add the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 to the bottom of the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh I have also seen a post with the -cd option used which I would presume is for the level for the CD player.

KneeLess
07-25-2003, 04:38 AM
I tried the ALSA boot prompt cheat, and /etc/init.d/asla-config as root, but still...no sound. Some threads here said disable legacy in BIOS, but there was only USB Legacy, so I disabled that. Still no luck. Any other help?

(Also tried 'knoppix xmodule-fbdeva alsa'

Stephen
07-25-2003, 05:36 AM
I tried the ALSA boot prompt cheat, and /etc/init.d/asla-config as root, but still...no sound. Some threads here said disable legacy in BIOS, but there was only USB Legacy, so I disabled that. Still no luck. Any other help?

What type of card do you have? If you have no on board sound you don't really need alsa.

Lord Metal
07-26-2003, 05:20 PM
Hi The CafFIEND

Your tips also works fine in KDE under RH8. Sounds much better but like you say with a little finetouch it would be perfect.

My machine Is: Via EPIA ME 6000 (Mini ITX) with VT1616 AC97 Sound.

Well this works fine from the controll center in KDE but my new problem is how to do the same thing under Window Maker or if anyone know's there the real configfile there i can enter 44Khz and Full Duplex. If somebody knows there this file in another Window Manager (KDE for Ex.) It could also help me.

Thanx The CafFIEND for a superb tips.

KneeLess
07-26-2003, 08:19 PM

What type of card do you have? If you have no on board sound you don't really need alsa.

Sorry, I thought it was evident that I have Intel AC '97 On board sound.

I apologize.

Stephen
07-26-2003, 10:07 PM
Sorry, I thought it was evident that I have Intel AC '97 On board sound.

I apologize.

When you said there was no option to disable sound in the BIOS I assumed there was no on board sound there is usually an option in the BIOS to disable the sound in mine it is in the Intergrated Pheriphials so no apology is necessary. Getting back to the topic at hand have you confirmed that the card is recognized on boot by Knoppix, once booted use dmesg | grep AC97 this will show you all lines with AC97 in them from the boot messages. Also with my onboard sound (VIA VT82C686 AC97) I don't need alsa when I boot the CD and HD install it will work fine without it you may want to try without the alsa cheat code. Another thing you could check is lcpci -v and see if there are any IRQ conflicts with any other devices.

staverts
07-28-2003, 04:30 AM
I have the Athlon 1800+, with onboard AC97 Sound, and I believe the via
chipset. My sound worked in the older versions of knoppix (KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-20-EN.iso), then I upgraded to 2003-07-26 EN. Iso. and my sound didn't work anymore, will this fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Stephen
07-28-2003, 04:56 AM
I have the Athlon 1800+, with onboard AC97 Sound, and I believe the via
chipset. My sound worked in the older versions of knoppix (KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-05-20-EN.iso), then I upgraded to 2003-07-26 EN. Iso. and my sound didn't work anymore, will this fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

If you mean booting with the alsa cheat code the only way to find out would be to try it.

coldwar
08-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Hi
I too am having problems getting my via ac'97 sound working. I am very new to linux. I went into shell and went to the etc/init.d directory. I can see alsa-autoconfig but when i type "alsa-autoconfig" i get "alsa-autoconfig: command not found" am i doing something wrong

Cheers

Stephen
08-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Hi
I too am having problems getting my via ac'97 sound working. I am very new to linux. I went into shell and went to the etc/init.d directory. I can see alsa-autoconfig but when i type "alsa-autoconfig" i get "alsa-autoconfig: command not found" am i doing something wrong

Cheers

First are you root user when doing this? Second if you are root in the shell in the init.d directory try ./alsa-autoconfig.

Smiler2000us
08-04-2003, 02:29 AM
To solve my problem with the AC 97 card on my system, i had to refer to a post on page 5 of this forum, It was wrote by Fabianx dated 28 Mar,
Log on as Root
open Konsole, or press ctrl+alt+f1
enter /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig
let it do its thing then reboot.
Hope it works for you too.

agro
08-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Some Suggestions

I have an AC 97 (AD1980) which was autodetected by the 'knoppix alsa' cheat. But the sound emerges on the 'PCM' and 'Surround' channels, and unless you use a dedicated ALSA mixer like alsamixer you may not be able to access the 'Surround' channel to unmute it and turn the volume up. Both these channels have to be on and turned up.

I believe knoppix turns up 'PCM' and 'Centre' by default. It took me a while to figure that out. I guess other AC 97's are different again on this.

One thing to try if you have no sound is to just run xmms on a sound file. If the LED's are jiggling you probably just have the wrong mixer settings.

JockVSJock
08-22-2003, 03:57 AM
I've upgraded my kernel to

2.4.21-acpi

But this has killed the sound in the process.

Here is the output when I run alsa-config:

root@Probot:/etc/init.d# ./alsa-autoconfig
Preparing modules for alsa...
Building card database..
Configuring via82xx...
Running update-modules...
Creating snddevices...
Setting default volumes...
aumix: error opening mixer

I've tried to apt-get alsa, aumix, and alsa-autoconfig, with no luck.

thanks

WimG
09-05-2003, 12:44 AM
After use the ;

# /etc/init.d
# ./alsa-autoconfig

Sound works fine,but unfortunately I have to do this now everytime when I start up the computer again, what to do to let this been set permanently so I don`t have to set
this everytime?

Stephen
09-05-2003, 01:35 AM
After use the ;

# /etc/init.d
# ./alsa-autoconfig

Sound works fine,but unfortunately I have to do this now everytime when I start up the computer again, what to do to let this been set permanently so I don`t have to set
this everytime?

Read my post of July 20th in this thread. :shock:

paradocs
09-05-2003, 04:29 AM
Hi WimG and All,

The above sugestion should get you going.
But if you run from CD as I do, then you need
to put a script on your floppy or persistent home.

The trick I use is take advantage of the fact
that when KDE starts, a script you place in /home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart/
gets run automatically.

You may name you script with a .sh extention
such as MyStartUp.sh

The first line of such a script is:

#!/bin/sh

Save the configurateion and a persistent home.

Best Wishes
paradocs

WimG
09-05-2003, 04:53 PM
I found kind off answer on another forum here
I solved this problem by opening
bootmisc.sh in etc/init.d with kedit while working as root
and add at the end off the file

# alsa working after new startup
cd /etc/init.d
./alsa-autoconfig

So after this it should be working every startup, Important make a enter after last sentence.
Sometimes for example when I want to play a soundfile or record sound with audacity I get
messages like; can't play back or dev/dsp can't opening device
This can be solved by opening configurationcenter sound and media soundsystem
and not let aRTs-soundserver start at startup KDE
I cannnot still let it work all together, I post this because maybe others can use it.
I am using Knoppix 3.2 from may (Dutch version) and still not so familiar with Linux,
maybe with newer version off Knoppix it is already solved.

WimG
09-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Hi paradox,

Sorry,I placed it before I readed your answer, thanks anyway, what I did
you should only do after you installed knoppix on your hard disk with alsa.