PDA

View Full Version : What is meant by Knoppix is a remarkable Linux 'demo'?

Advice Pro
03-23-2009, 11:27 PM
http://clusterknoppix.sw.be/knx-install.htm

ndb
03-24-2009, 12:12 AM
It's not meant to be installed on a hard drive. You can boot with it and try out the packages included. With versions 5.x and back, you could save your settings/configurations, i.e. Firefox/Iceweasel bookmarks, email, docs, etc.and reboot with those settings restored, IF you enter the proper cheat codes at boot time. Knoppix 6.0/6.0.1 does not seem to have this, to the best of my knowledge. No Knoppix version was designed to be installed to your hard drive. Debian or Ubuntu are the way to go, if you like what you see in Knoppix.

Advice Pro
03-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Correct me if I misunderstood, but is version 5 and up can be installed on the hard drive.

ndb
03-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Knoppix 5 can be installed on the hard drive, but I've read that things can break on it. It's still best to go with Debian or something similar. The latest Debian just came out last month, so the packages are pretty current.

OErjan
03-24-2009, 05:43 PM
yes, it can be installed (sort of) i would NOT recommend it though.
Knoppix is not intended to be installed, it was jus a neat "trick" added to a much earlier version hat somehow has kept hanging on.
as Knoppix is more or less a tweaked Debian install, it is tweaked to allow it to run from CD/DVD and few other things, this makes it break things when installed, i would recommend a pure Debian, possibly ubuntu or xubuntu, this as these ARE intended to run from hdd and tend to work great.

Harry Kuhman
03-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Knoppis can be "installed" to hard disk. You can also smash you hand with a large brick. If you enjoy doing one you'll likely enjoy doing the other.

Most people who want an installed Linux system would be much better advised to install Debian or some other distro that is intended to be installed on hard disk and that works well that way.