PDA

View Full Version : Frequent CD-R spin ups

spurty
03-31-2009, 02:49 AM
I am using the Knoppix live CD and I really like it. It's saved my butt for a while now. But I'm a newbie when it comes to anything deeper than basic Linux user knowledge. I like that it only loads what's necessary to run then loads off CD as the user demands. But it seems to constantly spin the Knoppix CD even when I'm clicking on web links. I've been running 5.1.1 for a while and just upgraded to 6.0.1 today. The issue is in both versions. I'm guessing it's not an actual problem but what is it doing? Any way to make it not do this? Seems like heavy wear and tear to have the drive spin up and down every time I click a link. Actually it's not every time but it's quite often but I've yet to figure out the pattern for when it does and doesn't.

I've also used Puppy and I like the ease of use. Its simplicity has removed some fear and helped me understand the insides of Linux a lot more. It's great because you can remove the live CD but it loads the entire CD to do so. Guess it's time to dive into remastering.

Thanks.

Harry Kuhman
03-31-2009, 04:10 AM
... Any way to make it not do this?....
If you have 1 gig of memory or more (not at all uncommon in this age), try the toram cheat code. Booting will take longer, but your problem will vanish. Works for Puppy Linux too (and works faster and with less RAM).

OErjan
03-31-2009, 10:05 AM
knoppix does this as it is running 100% from CD/DVD in your case, this means i has to read from the CD everytime it needs information that normally would have resided on a HDD.