PDA

View Full Version : Install ADRIANE [6.1] to HDD? (DVD version)

e2d
04-02-2009, 02:43 AM
Hi there,

I want to use Knoppix ADRIANE as main/only operating system. So I want to install it to hard disk.

So, when you boot the laptop, it should automatically (without any user input) start Knoppix with ADRIANE activated (so you get the ADRIANE menu + screenreader).

I've got the DVD version "Knoppix 6.1", which was sold in Germany as part of the c't heise magazine.

I did not test it yet, because the laptop did not arrive yet. I want to start immediately, so I better ask before, because I never installed Knoppix ADRIANE before.

Ah, and a second question:
Orca is used as screen reader for the GUI, correct? So I should better install GNOME instead of LXDE, because Orca supports GNOME better, I think? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance
e2d

paradocs
04-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Greetings e2d

Welcome to adriane knoppix.
I am patiently waiting for the new DVD to be realeased.
When you get further along, some better experts
can help with installing. But I will still give my advice
and hope to not upset too many here.

Don't install knoppix until you have a strong reason to
do so. I have worked with knoppix for many years as
my main operating system and have never install once.

Knoppix-v6.0.1-Adriane-v1.1CD and likely your DVD will
mount, as writable, a usb memory stick. Simply keep
your work and new programs there. Every few days
when I have to reboot, I add a few programs and scripts.
With a good computer and memory the CD or DVD works
very fast with no problems.

Orca works nicely and all of the gnome programs are
ready to work along with the LXDE desktop and lxterminal.

It is wise to test a laptop to be sure it works well with
the knoppix CD or DVD.

Best Wishes,
paradocs

e2d
04-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi paradocs and thanks for your answer!

Don't install knoppix until you have a strong reason to
do so. I have worked with knoppix for many years as
my main operating system and have never install once.

Hmm, well the problem is, that it's a netbook, which does not have any optical drive. So I thought I plug in an external dvd drive for one time, install Knoppix ADRIANE and deplug it (the drive is loud and probably slow).

I'd be willing to install something like Debian or Ubuntu, if it would be possible to re-create all the necessary steps to get ADRIANE working(not only the screenreader, but the menu too). But I did not find any guide or something.

What do you think? I've read at many places, that installing Knoppix might not be the best solution ...

e2d
04-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Hm, I read of the possibility to install Knoppix on an USB stick. So you've got Knoppix AND your personal data and settings on this stick. Is this true? So, I could use this method, right?

But there's still the question: how do I install it with activated ADRIANE?

e2d
04-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Okay, I managed to install it with ADRIANE - there is a option in the settings menu I was not aware of. When I use this option, it installs Knoppix with ADRIANE activated.

Now the question:
should I go for a USB stick installation or a hard disk installation? Do they have the same "problems", or is the USB stick installation more compatible?

Or maybe: is there a way to "emulate" the DVD, so that Knoppix ADRIANE boots from HD but itselfs thinks, that it is the DVD version? Well, a problem might be, that there should be no other operating system in use - so Knoppix ADRIANE only.

e2d
04-12-2009, 04:50 PM
-bump-

Can someone help me, please?

I want to run ADRIANE on a netbook without any optical drive (only external drive for installation, if needed).
Does USB installation offer any advantages about HD installation? Or doesn't it matter whether I install it to HD or USB?
(I don't need the portability, I just think of the KNOPPIX way, what might work better)

OR: is it possible to get the ADRIANE system in other distros, like Ubuntu or Debian? I mean the screenreader and the text menu.