PDA

View Full Version : Problems with log on... KDE requires password for 'knoppix'

Hiraoka Minoru
04-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi, just signed in here since I'm newbie.... (also... I'm not native speaker, so sorry for my poor English...)

I'm using KnoppixKO 5.1 (Korean localized version of knoppix 5.1)
I've updated KDE and after rebooting, KDE requires me to type password for account 'knoppix' to logon.
I've made password for root, but not for this account :(

Any ways to start knoppix as console mode and set password for 'knoppix' account?

I can't reinstall os, because my old laptop (Compaq Evo N400c) doesn't support cd boot(no cd-rom), and my usb stick is broken :(

Sorry if my question is too silly and basic... but I've been dealing with this problem for 1 day and it's 1:38 am right now.....can't solve it.

(Since I'm high school student, I have to go to school tomorrow. So, it is 'little bit' late for bed.)

ndb
04-10-2009, 06:44 PM
It sounds like your options are limited. I think the default password for knoppix is knoppix.

Failing that, since you can sign in as root, you can enter the following command in the root shell:

passwd knoppix

This will prompt you for a new password for knoppix, which you will have to enter twice (it will not be displayed).

Give these two tips a try and let us know which one worked.

Hiraoka Minoru
04-11-2009, 05:09 AM
Thx, ndb!

Problem with account password is solved (logged on as root and made password for 'knoppix') but when I type my password and try to log in, kdm starts again.
And this kdm makes me to type that dumb password again, and again.... :(

also tried to boot with xdm, and even gdm (used apt-get to install gnome environment in console, thought maybe problem is in my new KDE) but no luck.
(same thing happens in gdm, and xdm shows kde startup splash screen but no more than that.)

Any solutions?
Again, thanks ndb!

ndb
04-11-2009, 10:59 AM
No, once you've installed to the hard drive you have a normal login, with password. I wouldn't worry about, just use it.

I have a Windows partition (NTFS), and Debian, and I have the Windows passworded as well, with an administrator account, as well as my everyday working account. I just prefer security over convenience at the moment.

Hiraoka Minoru
04-12-2009, 08:23 AM
forgot to tell you, my knoppix is installed in laptop's HD.
so I can't access to KDE desktop, that means i can't do anything with my laptop right now.

I've just recovered usb stick so I'm going to reinstall knoppix to HD.

Searched forum for this problem, and all I found was not very clear solution for this problem.... maybe this is related to other technical problem... I guess.

Anyway, thanks ndb!

ndb
04-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I had understood that you had installed knoppix to your HD. When you said that your USB stick was broken, did you mean that the stick itself was damaged. I had assumed you meant the USB port.

I think that either installing KDE to your HD, or updating it, caused the requirement for logging in with your password.

Neil