PDA

View Full Version : SCSI-3,Adriane and Nvidia G70(7800 GTX)

rey1
04-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Hello,I do need help,sort of.

Seems that Knoppix-Adriane with LXDE desktop is :

1-not recognizing my video card-I can only boot in 800x600 rez

2-Also I had to disable the ATI RAdeon chipset on the motherboad otherwise I would t jus gett a black screen with a blinking white cursor..

3-And I had to disable my Firewire port as it was not recognizing my gigabit ethernet port..-it was insisting on using the Firewire port !

4-sometimes the DVD-R SCSI drive does not recognized my Live Knoppix CD

5-And the HD-(SATA-Raptor) -Knoppix sees it seeing it as a RAID device and wants to format it accordingly

6-the PXE Rom-had to put it to Int19

Now the good news-thus distro is the only only hat works with that darn pc !got it cheap at a local pawnship-thus beware-it wasused as a server at a local Net gaming shop I believe)

I have tried next tto all the other Linux distros and eithert I can't cnect to the net(ubuntu .KDE v 8.10 intrepid-Ibex) or my monitor just tuns off(debian 5.0,etc..)
Open Suse Linux v11.1 insist on formatting my HD RAid style no matter what..

Artistx v 0.4 does work but based on older version of Debian(v 4.)but when you try to upgrde certian packages like Firefox etc,,no can do etc.

..Studio64 has same prolems;Ubuntu Studio I can only get 640x480 monitor rez so next toimpossible to navigate the net..

Musix v 1.0R also based on older version of debian and monitor rez problems..

The Linux "music versions" all used a limited Gnome version..Been trying to convince those into music to go Linux but theya ll seem to be stuck on Windows no matter what..

Finally how to I tell ADRIANE to shut up ?The man's voice is driving me crazy..
Where in Knoppix(using Synaptic)is the pkg I can delete to remedy tis..

Do not get me wrong Adriane-LXDE is very good and FAST !
A few minoir points

-No PPPOE(DSL) connections on the opening menu only ISDN..

-Also 1st item ought to be the NET connection

-VLC-VideoLan- seems knoppix will not take it..;as well as GIMP...

-Force quit apps to kill a frozen program ?(on some Linux versions you click the said application with a skull..)

And yes a multimedia knoppix is needed as Debian Multimedia is rather spartan
Note using Adriane on 800X600 rez (only have 1 pc-the other kaput but next week will remedy this)

Tidbits-I have reformatted my HD using Adriane Knoppix over + 10 times now as seems that putting too much multimedia programs tend to freeze, make knoppix unstable and too many conflicts do arise and you cannot remove said pkgs !

rey1
04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
I want to tell that almost all fo my problems have been solved as I re-installed the full version of Knoppix v 6.0.1

Now- current bugs ?

1- I cannot seem to be able to Install the Nvidia version drivers for my video card re drivers 173.14.18 for the GeForce 5 series [G70 7800 GTX -256 MB]

On the Nvidia site for linux drivers they state that once you have downloaded the drivers to your pc you do the followings: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.18.pkg1.run and follow up the subsequent instructions !?
I get a " no such file or directory.. yet I did this terminal with root

My file is in the / (root) directory.. Thsi file is " - rw-r-- r-- "

2- When I installed Knoppix I had an external HD-Verbatim)-funny thing after the installation some of the system files where put on that Hd !

(on my sda HD I have about 9 gigs of data and on the sdb 1 gigs..-both HD have vmlinuz on them..)

3-Annoying bug-(?) Synaptic does install the selected programs yetr many of theiricons do not show up- but if you install thm with in add/remove they do

4-Loading and installing time for full Knoppix is much longer than with Adriane..

rey1
04-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I want to tell that almost all fo my problems have been solved as I re-installed the full version of Knoppix v 6.0.1

Now- current bugs ?

1- I cannot seem to be able to Install the Nvidia version drivers for my video card re drivers 173.14.18 for the GeForce 5 series [G70 7800 GTX -256 MB]

On the Nvidia site for linux drivers they state that once you have downloaded the drivers to your pc you do the followings: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.18.pkg1.run and follow up the subsequent instructions !?
I get a " no such file or directory.. yet I did this terminal with root

My file is in the / (root) directory.. Thsi file is " - rw-r-- r-- "

2- When I installed Knoppix I had an external HD-Verbatim)-funny thing after the installation some of the system files where put on that Hd !

(on my sda HD I have about 9 gigs of data and on the sdb 1 gigs..-both HD have vmlinuz on them..)

3-Annoying bug-(?) Synaptic does install the selected programs yetr many of theiricons do not show up- but if you install thm with in add/remove they do

4-Loading and installing time for full Knoppix is much longer than with Adriane..