PDA

View Full Version : trying to fix missing NTLDR problem

CaptainChunk
04-29-2009, 06:38 PM
OK. Hope you guys can help.

My goal: install Windows 7 on my desktop computer

Problem: My computer got a virus/trojan, got all messed up and I have been trying to fix it for almost two days now. I downloaded Knoppix 6.0.1 (CD version) to try and copy my important files to another drive on the computer. I guess that was risky? Well, it is done now and I think it worked OK. So now I am just trying to get to the point where I can get my Windows 7 disk to boot and format my c: drive for a fresh install.

Is there a way I can fix my missing NTLDR problem using Knoppix? I also downloaded Knoppix 5.1.1 (CD version). I have a working laptop running Windows 7 and a nebook running Win XP SP3. I just tried to create a bootable floppy to boot into that, but I don't think it supports USB keyboards and I don't have any PS/2 keyboards around, so I can't try to run fdisk.

Hope you guys have some ideas. I am very computer literate, so let me know if you need more info. Thanks for the help.

iki
05-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Sorry, but I though you should fix that if you needed to boot from the hd. If you're getting this problem while trying to boot from the windows 7 cd (assuming it is like other Windows cds), it must be because you didn't burn the .iso file as an image.

As just for formatting, you can do that with Gparted. In Knoppix: Root Terminal
apt-get update
apt-get install gparted or you'll find it in any other Linux installable live-cd (ubuntu etc.).