PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 6.1 live distro boot using PXE

sd_read
04-30-2009, 12:05 AM
I have a Suse 10.1 server setup to do PXE booting.

It does work because I can PXE boot a computer which provides a menu of options that I set up such as launching Spinrite, Dos/FDISK, memtest or I have even done a successful internet install of Debian etch by PXE booting a computer.

Now, I would like to do be able to do a PXE install of the Knoppix.

In other words, just like I can put the DVD into my computer and boot into a live distro I would like to do that from my server using PXE

I have installed the linux and minirt.gz files onto the server. Then in the "default" file I have added the following for booting Knoppix:

LABEL Knoppix 6.1
menu label ^Knoppix
kernel /knoppix/boot/isolinux/linux
append ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=/knoppix/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz knoppix-terminalopenmosi nomce quiet loglevel=0 nolapic_timer

When I PXE boot and choose this option it starts a normal boot showing the penquin and other stuff then sits at:

Waiting (USB)...

After a short time it then displays:

Could not mount disk to /mnt-system. Starting debugging Shell...
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
/ #

So it insists on trying to find a USB device to boot from?

How do I fix this?

Thank you for your help- Steve

aranur
08-06-2009, 09:11 AM
I have that error on my copy to harddisk installation. I too am interested in the solution to this problem.

I have an existing Sidux installation on /dev/sda5 and I wanted to replace the existing winxp on /dev/sda1 with some other flavour of linux and I was thinking of trying eeebuntu nbr and knoppix6. none of my menu.lst tweak results in a proper boot and that include fromhd and bootfrom. I seems to remember something from my earlier attempt about fromiso or bootiso or somesuch but it's too late to try now. I've since destroyed the GRUB at sector 0, rendering the harddisk unbootable with a broken BIOS for a proper boot from USB device.