PDA

View Full Version : Booting Knoppix fron a stick on Samsung RS10

Atrainjenkins
05-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Can this be done? I really would like to be able to boot from a USB stike. I have booted from the Knoppix 6.1 that came with May Linux Mag & was impressed but there is no explaination as to how to transfere the DVD to a USB stick and how to boot from it. I suppose this is ellementry stuff but I do not have the required knowledge. Help required please.

Atrainjenkins

David Priem
05-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I also used the recent Linux Format CD to install knoppix 6 to a usb stick.

When you boot from the CD, click the menu tool at bottom left, go to System Tools

and there should be an item under the menu which says, "Install KNOPPIX to flash disk" This will also install to a USB stick.

labero
06-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I have tried this flash install (in Knoppix 6.1 from LX Magazine) with a couple of USB sticks of different brands.
The Knopiix system seems to install OK. At least I get no error messages. No other guiding messages either, for that matter.
A preliminary (my level of understanding) inspection of the flash drive content seems to agree.
But. the computers I tried will not boot from thoose USB sticks. I have enabled boot from USB-sticks in the bioses,
and even tried disabling all other boot options. They simply complain they cannot find an OS.

Am I supposed to have done other things as well, like installing GRUB or Lilo in MBR (not a thing I look forward to). I have been under the impression that this is done by the Knoppix flash drive installer.

Please help with some hints.