PDA

View Full Version : Can you use knoppix live to update drivers on xp hard drive

Supergrover
05-06-2009, 09:29 PM
A friend of mine just had her laptop mobo die. The hard drive was fine so I put together a tower and mounted the drive but xp won't boot. This is obviously because the chip set drivers are wrong.
She is Brazilian and her lap top had Portuguese xp on it. I really wanted to try and get it working rather than re-installing a English version of xp.

Has anybody every tried/succeeded in doing something like this?

ndb
05-07-2009, 01:40 AM
You will probably get a few replies to this question, but in short, it's an extremely dicey job. A lot of people are not convinced that linux can write safely to a NTFS partition, and I haven't heard of anyone saying otherwise. I haven't the guts to try it myself.

Clinton
05-07-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm afraid I don't have more promising news. Here is a recent thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29693&highlight=) on the NTFS issue though newer versions seem to be better at writing to NTFS. If you use the search box at the top of this page you'll find a lot of mention of NTFS partitions and some folk who've had better luck than others. The make of the hard disk seems to matter as well.